Κεφάλαιο VI Μέρος III

The earthquake had left Harbor Village in darkness.

Eros seemed very close to taking a swing at me with his flashlight. "You brought her in here? Even after everything Psyche told you about Kreon and what he will do if you continue seeing his daughter?"

I pushed the flashlight from my face. "What more have we to lose? He already knows our secrets, Eros. But unlike Psyche, Meagan's on our side. Telling her only levels the playing field."

Eros drew himself together with a slow, relenting sigh. "Fine. And will you tell her about Psyche's treachery as well?"

"She's been hurt enough." I motioned down the hall's length, where Meagan could be seen sitting at the kitchen table, nursing her arm. "Looks like you survived the quake."

"Well this leaky old house didn't. Forget this glass all over--one of the attic pipes burst. I've patched it but it's a temporary fix. Considering your aptitude for being a tool and using tools..."

"I'll take care of the house." I pressed my palm to the wall. Lightning jumped from my fingers to the wooden slats, forks of white-blue sparking and spreading until the air hummed with energy. It vanished and the lights snapped on brighter than before. "You take care of Meagan." I clapped him on the shoulders extra-hard, steering him back to the kitchen.

"He can punch things really hard and when trees fall on him he walks away without a scratch." Meagan raised her brows as Eros turned a chair backwards, sitting across from her. "What can you do? Shoot fire with your hands? Run like Barry Allen?"

"My name's not Barry. Hold still." Eros pushed back her torn and bloodied sleeve, where an ugly cut still bled. Her eyes widened when his hands hovered over the injury, glowing red.

She was healed, the cut vanished along with her scrapes and bruises.

"How'd you do that?" said Meagan, inspecting her arm in disbelief.

"Love heals." When Eros smiled back, clearly smitten by her adoration, I immediately felt the need to intervene.

"Meagan, meet Eros, the God of Love."

"And desire. Why do you always leave that part off?"

"Because no one desires you." I grabbed Eros, hoisting him from the seat and taking his place. "And I am Hercules--"

"The son of Zeus." Meagan glanced from me to Eros. "I took a class on mythology. You and Eros are family."

"I call him brother, but technically--yes--Eros is my uncle."

"Wow. All that weird stuff you say is finally starting to make sense."

I frowned. "I don't say weird stuff. Do I say weird stuff?"

"Why are you here?" Meagan shook her head. "I mean, why would you two leave Olympus to come to Earth? You can't seriously think this place is any better..."

Eros and I exchanged heavy glances.

He walked forward, resting his palms on the table top. "Olympus is a beautiful place, Meagan. But it's not perfect. It's also in danger."

"My brother, Iphicles, is now the ruler of Olympus," I said. "He has plans. And if he succeeds, Eros and I will lose the mountain. Forever."

"That's terrible, I'm so sorry. What can I do to help--if I even can. I mean, I'm just a human, and you're... gods."

"You can tell us how to stop your father," replied Eros. "That's how we get home."

"My dad?" The worry lines in Meagan's face deepened. "What does he have to do with Olympus?"