Chapter 2- And Then You Became A Memory

7 years ago

I hate my life. I hate the fact that my Dad was in the military. I hate the fact that he moved me, a 15 year old hormonal teenage girl to Japan to study because he was in the army. I hate the fact that I didn't learn enough Japanese to converse with the other kids at my school. It's not like I could get attached to them anyways. Most likely Dad will get moved to some other Asian or European country to work anyways so why try and make friends?

I sat on a park bench and opened my Onigiri (🍙) and began eating it. The rain began to fall. I looked up realizing I didn't have an umbrella. I ran and took refuge under an old, shabby looking building. Once there I stood and watched the rain fall. I loved the smell of rain. I unknowingly said "That smells so good." In Korean. Why in Korean? South Korea was the country we stayed at for 4 years before moving to Japan earlier this year. Sometimes I forget English is my native tongue because of all the countries we lived in. France, Russia, India, Malaysia, South Korea and now Japan. It's soon became so confusing to know which language to speak in which country.

"Are you Korean?" A voice said in Korean.

"Huh?" I said walking towards that voice.

"Are you Korean?" He said once we made eye contact.

"Do I look Korean?" I said rolling my eyes and pointing at my black skin and curly hair with brown eyes.

"You spoke it." He said

I stood there confused. Then it hit me. I was speaking Korean when I thought it was Japanese the whole time.

"I'm so sorry, my family travels a lot because my Dad is in the military." I said starting in Japanese and finishing in Korean.

He laughed at me and I joined him realizing what I did. I closely inspected the boy that stood in front of me. He was tall very tall. He towered over me. He wore the high school uniform. So it became obvious that he was older than me because I wore the junior high uniform.

"My names Dong-wook." He said

"I'm Heaven." I said

"Looks like we both got caught in the rain." He said.

"With no umbrella." I said sneezing.

"Are you ok?"

"I think the rain will make me sick."

He then fiddled in his bag and took out his P.E uniform coat and handed it to me.

"You should put in something dry." He said

I did as I was told.

The next 2 hours we sat there talking. We spoke about our family's and the situations they both placed us in. His family was having finical issues and moved to Japan 2 years ago to try and find employment. Dongwook was very nice and speaking to him made me find a piece if happiness in this shitty world.

"The rain stopped." I said sticking my hand out past the roof top to see if I can feel any water coming from the sky.

"Yeah It has." He said

"Wanna grab something to eat." He said after a minute of silence.

"Sure!" I said excitingly.

Before we knew it we began dating. I didn't plan to date a guy 3 years older than me. Neither did I plan for him to be Korean but I had no control over the things that happened in Japan. I supported Dongwook in his pursuit to do music. Even-though he was not as active as he wanted to be and got no support from his parents I still told him to give it his best and encouraged him. In return, he stayed by my side when everyone else would leave me. Dongwook introduced me to his friends Jiho and his older brother Taewoon. The four of us shared the same goals and dreams of doing music. The fact that I was younger never really became an issued. The issue came when we watched Jiho and Taewoon leave to go back to Korea and we bother knew Dongwook would be next. We knew it but still didn't want to believe it.

"So today is my last day huh?" He said not looking at me.

"I always thought my relationships would end because I was the one moving." I said to him crying in between.

"I'm sorry Heaven I'll be leaving first." He said

"What will happen to us?" I asked it. It was time to talk about the elephant in the room.

"We should break up." He said still not making eye contact with me.

I was hurt. But I knew it was probably the best thing to do. I didn't want to do it neither. I never even considered it. I hated him for considering it and I hated him for saying it.

"I think it's best you forget about me." I managed to say before walking away. Not looking back. Our time in Japan was short but well spent and sooner than later it was time to move again. This time to Hong-Kong.