-Chapter 1-

Note: This gets really sappy for a second really fast because I like reading and writing sappy writing and I'm really sorry if you don't I'm pretty sure this will be the sappiest it gets!

At School—

It's a Tuesday at school and Emma is in one of her favorite classes- shop. She sits on the far left of the room in the second to last row although no one has the workspace behind her. The room is only half full of kids as most didn't understand what the draw to cutting wood could be, but she did, she like being able to take boring pieces of wood and change them into something magical. As she was working, with her headphones in of course, she felt as though someone was looking at her and looked up to see not only one person was looking, but two- Ned and Peter. The moment that she looked up they looked away, but Ned kept peaking over at her every so often as they talked, she wondered what they were talking about.
"Dude you went to Germany? GERMANY OF ALL PLA-"
"Shhhhh Ned keep your voice down or someone will hear." This is when he looked over at Emma and Ned followed his gaze, the girl was their type of weird but she was really quiet and never really talked to anyone and when she did you could tell that she would rather be alone. That was the moment she looked up, "Shit! Ned!" And he turned his head around with Ned doing the same
"I wonder what she's making over there, looks really cool" Ned said peaking another look over at the girl.
"By what I saw it looks like a chest... NED STOP LOOKING YOU LOOK INSANE!" Peter whispered
"We should really go talk to her, I think she has some of our interests." Ned observed
"Oh yeah like what?"
"Haven't you seen the inside of her locker, Star Wars posters, Percy Jackson, and Harry Potter books, come on the girl is a geek like us if anyone can get her to talk it's probably us."
"Yeah," Peter said using his spider senses to hear what she was listening to, the Imperial March, "you're probably right."

Now after school because I said so—

Emma decided to go back after school to the shop room to continue the work on her chest, since she lived basically alone (save the times when Agent Coulson or anyone else came to check in on her) she was able to dictate whether to stay after school or not. She could have sat anywhere she wanted to, as the room was empty (her teacher said he trusted her enough to let her alone in the room, plus he had a meeting or something to go to), but she still sat at her lone desk on the far left second from the back. As she was working, Peter came in and was immediately shocked to see someone else in the shop room.
"Uh hi um is-is Mr.-"
"He's in a meeting, I don't know what time he'll be back but don't worry he said I could be in here," she shot back barely looking up.
"Oh uh, okay is it okay if I stay here and work too?" Peter asked as he closed the door behind him.
"Yeah sure" the girl answered still enchanted by what she was working on, she was so focused she barely recognized that Peter was walking over to her work bench after putting his stuff down.
"That's a real beautiful chest there, even though it's not finished like I'm sure it's gonna be beautiful when it's done because I can-I can tell just by looking at it. Are you gonna put a design on there?" He rambled so much that by the end he was almost out of breathe, the girl finally met his eyes and she couldn't tell what was going on in the funny head of his.
"Thanks," she muttered less sincerely than she had meant, no one expect their shop teacher had ever complimented her work, "yeah I'm gonna put some like waves or something on here, and hopefully a lock when I'm done." Peter nodded along, if you could say "cool" with a facial expression that's what Peter was doing. "What are you making over on your bench?"
"Do you wanna come see?" He stood up and started walking over to his desk, Emma put her tool down and followed him over to his workspace. "This is, hopefully," he said the last word a little more quieter than the others, "going to be a music box- my Aunt, I live with her, her birthday is coming up and this old music box that my uncle, he umm he died, gave her broke a few weeks ago and it really hurt her so I hope this can make her happy again." He smiled towards the end of his explanation.
"I used to live with my uncle, he died too." The girl uttered in a shaky breathe as she picked up the music box inspecting the intricate details used in the design. She looked up to meet Peter's eyes, he looked at her not with the sympathy she had so often gotten that she had learned to hate it, no he looked at her with empathy. He wanted to say something but he couldn't decide what to land on and ended up with:
"I- I'm- I'm really sorry to hear that, I know how tough that is I'm real sorry, gosh okay um my uncle's name was Ben, he was a great person loved my aunt with every piece of him I'm sure you're uncle was the same way." He gestured towards her wondering if what he said made the situation as awkward as he thought it did.
"Uncle Calvin, but I called him Cal. He liked to watch movies on Friday nights with me after school, always said it was 'my prize for getting through the week!' He always let me choose," Emma didn't even realize that she was staring at and twirling the pedestal that would later home a ballerina, "he was a kind man, the kind of person who would give money to those he saw on the street and help those who needed him."
"He sounds like a great man."
She broke out of her trance and looked up at him, "He was... but he's gone now right?" She forced a pained smile and then said the words often told to her, "gotta keep moving forward with your life." Peter pretended to ignore the single tear that fell from one of her eyes, he could tell it was best to move on from the subject.
"So, Emma... what types of things are you into? Books, movies, tv shows, sports?" He listed trying to bring up a subject they both have interest in without telling her that he peeped in on her Imperial March earlier.
"Well, when my uncle and I would watch movies on Friday I most of the time made him repeat some of my favorites."
"Which are...?"
"Star Wars mostly I mean how can you not love it, but also Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, and the Hobbit. So basically stories about orphans living with their uncles." She laughed as if it had just hit her what all her favorite stories had in common with each other and her.
"Wow I never realized that, and hey those are my favorites too! My buddy Ned and I actually just built the new Lego Death Star a few months ago! And question are you more of a Jedi or a Sith?" The excitement in his eyes was palpable and it made Emma smile.
"Don't judge me but Sith." Peter's eyes widened in shock, "Okay okay let me explain! I agree with the Jedi on a lot of areas but the restrictions they enforced, plus some of the Jedis were really arrogant, and there were so many of the Jedi they were basically the galaxy's police, one misstep and you had a Jedi coming onto your planet and asking what's up. The Sith knew their place, they could love, and there was the rule of two that didn't let there be an overwhelming amount of them."
Peter retorted with, "Okay, I mean you're wrong but okay," which caused them both to laugh.
Just then the shop teacher came in and told the students that his meeting was done and that he was going to close up the room and go home and that they should go home too, they obliged.