Chapter One - Ditching School & Stealing Lunch

"I don't want to go," Nick cried angrily. "I hate that class." Nick only hated his fourth period class because it was the only class he didn't have with his girlfriend, Skylar.
"Well, then let's ditch class," Joseph suggested. He was usually a bad influence on his friends, Nick and Alex.
"I'll text Skylar and tell her to meet me at the Yard," Nick agreed.
The Yard was where the seniors and cool juniors hung out, and you could always find some kids there, even if it was in the middle of class. It used to be an abandoned lot that someone's dad bought on a whim, up until a few years ago, when some kids, who were seniors at the time, got the idea to convert it into a hangout. They put up a fence around the lot, painted some of the asphalt to make a parking lot, and built a clubhouse. There's been some modifications since then, which include a back entrance that Tony, the 'resident mechanic', if you will, built 'Just in case'. He could usually be found at the Yard, because he had graduated high school a year early.
"But what if we get a detention?" Alex worried. She was the only one of them who wasn't completely reckless af. They usually listened to her, but, this time, the voice of reason was ignored.
"Who cares?" Both Joseph and Nick said in near unison. Neither of them usually cared about the repercussions of their actions, and usually weaseled their way out of them anyway.
It was apparently a rhetorical question, because neither of them waited for Alex's response and started sneaking toward the electrical room, which had a door leading to the parking lot. It was information exclusive to seniors, that the janitor was too lazy to bother to lock it.
     "Fine," Alex sighed exasperatedly, knowing that she could never win an argument with them. She reluctantly followed, because she knew they should have a chaperone. The entire school population was aware of those two's rep for being completely unpredictable sometimes.
As they made it to the senior's parking lot, they figured out whose car they would take.
     "Let's take Dixie," Joseph argued. Nick wanted to take his party van, but finally conceded, because even he had to agree that Joseph's Lambo was better than his van.
     "I call shotgun!" Alex yelled. Nick had to take the backseat, because they all knew no one even went near Dixie's steering wheel without incurring the wrath of Joseph. The same also went for the poor soul who accidently scratched Dixie's paint job. Sometimes they weren't seen at school for weeks, and when they did, they were never the same.
     "Where are we going?" Nick asked Joseph.
     "TO IN-N-OUT!!!!" Alex demanded.
     "Sure, why not?" Joseph yielded. About fifteen minutes later, they were pulling into the long line that was In-N-Out's drive thru.
     They had to wait ten minutes until, finally, someone took their order, "Hi, how can I help you?" A slim blonde asked them. Nick and Alex held their breath, waiting for Joseph's inevitable joke. They were stunned when he responded normally.
     "Can I get a hamburger with pickles and ketchup?" he asked.
     "What would you like for the drink?"
     "One medium chocolate shake and one large strawberry shake."
     "Anything else?"
     "Yeah, one Double Double, with a Pepsi."
     "Kay, anything else?"
     "Can I get six plain cheeseburgers, four cheese fries, three regular, two Cokes, two Pepsis, and a cherry Sprite?"
     "Ok, is that all?"
     "Yeah," Joseph replied.
     "Okay. That'll be $47.08," she informed Joseph.
After almost twenty minutes, they finally made it to the window.
     The cashier slid the window back open, confirmed their order, gave them their food, and asked them, "Cash or credit?"
     Joseph immediately realized that he had forgotten his wallet in his locker at school. He turned to Alex and asked, "Do you have your wallet?"
     "No, and Nick doesn't carry money," Alex said. She realized that they were going to get free food.
     The cashier, wanting the money said,"Paper!"
     Joseph then replied,"Scissors, I win!" He then drove away.
     The cashier yelled, "Hey! Come back here!"
     When they were far away from the In-N-Out, Joseph said, "Ya like jazz. "
     Alex said, "Yeet!"
     Nick couldn't believe that Joseph didn't keep emergency cash in Dixie, like he did in his party van.