Internet "Friends"

Richie only had a few friends. Not because people didn't like him, everyone loved him. Girls fought over him and guys wanted to be him. He played baseball and was quite fit. This is one of the reasons girls loved him. Well, that and his curly locks. He was good at everything he did. This was why guys wanted to be him so bad.

   The reason Richie didn't have many friends was because he didn't trust many people. He didn't like the fact that girls only wanted him for his body or because he could play guitar. He could never find a girl who loved him for who he really was.

   His few friends consisted of Stan, Ben, and Mike. They were truly the only friends that Richie needed and wanted. They were trustworthy, loyal, kind, and the funniest people he knew.

   The four of them were sitting at lunch together, discussing conspiracy theories when all of a sudden Stan began bursting out laughing. The crew looked over at the boy. He was on his phone looking at something, and whatever it was had to have been pretty funny.

   "Whatcha doin', Stan?" Richie smirked and leaned over the boy's shoulder to look at his phone. Stan quickly put his phone face down, he was now blushing with embarrassment.

   "Nothing!" Stan exclaimed, "Just watching vines! Nothing important." He was still blushing but he was now tapping the lunch table out of nervousness.

   "If it was just vines, show me." Richie was staring at the boy, hoping he would give in and tell the truth.

   "Fine!" Stan gently slammed his hands down on the table, trying not to make a scene. "I'm talking to a friend."

   "What friend?" It was Ben's time to speak now, "We're your only friends." Ben didn't mean this to be rude, it was simply the truth. The four of them only had each other, that's what made them so close.

"It's just this guy, he doesn't live here! You wouldn't know him." Stan choked out, still nervous.

"Where'd you meet him?" Mike piped in. He didn't talk much so when he did everyone paid attention.

"Online. It doesn't matter. Subject change? Thanks!" Stan picked his phone back up and began typing. The other three looked at each other and shrugged.

For the rest of the day, Richie couldn't stop thinking about the fact that Stan had made a friend over the internet. How'd he even meet him? Probably over snapchat, that's the easiest way to meet people.

After school, the four boys were walking home together when Richie's phone went off. He pulled out his phone and noticed a notification that said, "Eddie added you as a friend!" He looked over at the boys, "Hey, do any of you know somebody named Eddie? 'Cause this guy just added me on snap." The boys stared at Richie and all shook their heads no.

Richie's house was the first stop, he liked it this way. He didn't have to walk too much and it was never late when he got home, which gave him more time to do his assignments. Richie waved goodbye at the boys as he ran up his porch steps. He gave them a smile before walking inside and shutting the door.

When Richie got home, he immediately ran upstairs and into his room. He shut the door behind him quietly, he didn't want to disturb anyone. He plopped down on his bed and pulled out his phone. He still hadn't added the Eddie guy back and was contemplating on whether or not he should. But since Stan had an internet friend, he figured that he could too.

He unlocked his phone and opened snapchat. He was feeling kind of nervous for some reason, he really wasn't sure why. He added Eddie back and then sent him a message, "Hey! Do we know each other? I noticed you added me."

A few minutes later, Eddie replied, "Hi! No, I don't think we know each other. But I think we definitely should. ;)"

Richie's heart stopped. He was right, he didn't know this boy. But Eddie obviously wanted to know him more. And, was the boy flirting with him? Richie shrugged, he probably wasn't flirting. "I think we should get to know each other, if that's what you're saying. Oh! I'm Richie, by the way. But, everyone calls me Trashmouth."