Chapter 11

"How long have I been asleep?" Snape hadn't even realized he'd spoken out loud until a low voice answered him from behind.

"A little under an hour..." Hermione set the journal down in her lap. She'd jumped when his voice disturbed her and was glad he was facing away from her. She'd levitated a chair from the fireplace over beside the bed to watch over him. She hadn't even tried to run. Though she did spend some time in the office, "I had a little talk with Dumbledore..."

Snape sneered at the mention of his name. Brilliant, no doubt the man had played on her heartstrings convincing her to stay and look after him. His internal eyes rolled at the ludicrous notion. Keeping his back to her, he carefully pushed himself up so that he was sitting on the edge, "And you trust him?"

"I have no reason not to..."

"I have a few you could have..." Snape grunted and turned so that his back let out a loud pop. He reached behind running his hand over the new skin that had started to grow into place.

She'd done well. Not that he would ever admit it. He'd be sore for a while, but it wasn't as debilitating as it could have been. Thankfully, his beloved master had spared his spinal cord. He'd long since been making potions to counteract the evil man's abominable creations, not that he would share that information with anyone else.

His eyes snapped down to the shirt that was sitting on the night table, as though it were waiting for him. He looked over his shoulder with narrowed his eyes to the girl so comfortably sitting in his chair a few feet from the bed.

Had she gone through all his things? His sneer was ineffective against her calm face and he resisted the urge to roll his eyes. Who would have thought playing nursemaid would have set her completely to rights? He huffed heavily and pulled his shirt on.

"Those potions are amazing...you're almost as good as new."

"They come at a cost." Snape pushed himself up onto his feet testing his mobility. He could tell she was nearly vibrating with how much she was holding herself back in questioning him. "They can only be taken three days apart. If they're taken consecutively the kidney shuts down."

"That's...very potent..."

"Magic always comes at a cost."

Hermione bit her bottom lip watching him partially limp his way to the closet, no doubt to retrieve one his coats. She'd tried to be as respectful of his privacy as possible. Only taking clothes from the closet that was the doorway to her room. The curiosity was easily curbed by the fear that he'd wake up and kill her for being in his rooms, having forgotten that he'd imprisoned her there.

"I fixed the potion." She waited for him to come back out so as not to strain her voice. She'd just finished another one of his candies while she had waited for him to wake up. The deep gravel sound in her voice was starting to lift.

"Show me." His coat finished buttoning itself by the time he made it to her, a dangerous glare falling over his features when she hid the journal behind her back.

"Not until you tell me what it's for." Hermione lifted her chin in defiance, very much forgetting who she was dealing with.

"He hasn't told me. I can only guess it has something to do with securing an heir."

Hermione's brow twitched with confusion. "Who...who would he..?"

"The way Bellatrix has been acting lately, I would have to guess she's offered her services to the task."

Hermione would have fallen down had she not been sitting down. What had loosened his tongue? "You've got to be kidding me..."

"Let me see the journal."