11. Serious conversations

November 1974

"Darling, don't you think it's about time we got a new place?"

Mick looked up from his toothbrush, glancing over at his husband in mild surprise. "What's wrong with this one?"

"It's too small, Mick." David complained, rolling his eyes a bit. "I can barely do anything around here, our son sleeps in the living room and where the bloody hell do you expect this next one to sleep?"

"The baby can sleep here with us."

David looked a bit surprised. "Well.. Alright if you're willing to give up having sex forever than I suppose we could make it work."

"I'm beginning to think that's a good idea since you go and get yourself pregnant every time I touch you."

"Ohhh I got myself  pregnant? That's quite talented of me." He said sarcastically.

"Well where would you like to live, your Highness?"

"A house! A bigger flat! Anything that isn't this little rat cage!" David snapped. His lip quivered and he glanced down like he was about to cry. It scared Mick and made him run over to comfort him.

"I didn't know it meant so much to you, baby." He sighed, pushing the hair out of David's face. "We'll look for a nice house, yeah? We'll get one with a big backyard and lots of room for you and I, and Ethan can have his own room and we'll build a beautiful nursery for the baby. Would you like that?"

David sniffled and nodded his head. "Y-yes."

Mick smiled and kissed him softly. "There we go. Chin up, love. We'll be just fine."

"I love you." David whispered.

"I love you too. More than anything in the entire world."

The two just gazed into each other's eyes, David gave Mick's hand a squeeze as they leaned in for a deeper kiss. This moment was of course, cut short by the sound of a toilet flushing and tiny giggling.

Mick chuckled and shook his head. "Our little guy's such a curious one."

"Mick have you got your keys on you? Or did you leave them next to his toy box again?"

Suddenly all of the color drained from Mick's face.

"....ETHAN!"