Chapter 19

N E W   Y O R K :

         Clary and Simon plastered themselves against the wall by the garden, where they could hear more demons portaling in.

          "I'll stall them, you deal with the portal," Simon whispered, holding his Protean in sword form.

       Clary nodded, holding a seraph blade in one hand and a Protean in the other.

          Would it be like this if we were parabatai? She wondered, looking at Simon.

          "Give me a diversion?" Simon grinned.

         "Love to," Clary replied with one of her own.

          "Ithuriel," she named the blade and threw it at the demon, landing it right in its chest. The other demons' attention focused solely on the blade embedded in their brother's chest as he crumbled, that they didn't notice Simon climb up to the roof, standing on its edge, Protean in bow and arrow form in hand. From where Clary was standing, she could see him beneath the shadows of  the higher portions of the building. He stood strong and confident, so different from the awkward lanky boy he'd been back in New York she wondered if anyone looked at her and thought that.

          Simon drew the bow back and let it fly, landing with a thump on a demon. Another arrow followed, to be followed by another one; he  made it rain arrows, giving Clary the distraction she needed.

          Simon watched his bestfriend charge through the horde of demons in a fiery, red blur. She moved with such ferocity that it sent a shiver down his spine. Long gone was the unsure little girl he'd met back in kindergarten and the uncertain teenager in New York. He almost wished Jace and the others could see her in action.

          He sent an arrow hurdling towards a bird-like demon, swooping down on her. The arrow struck it's neck and it crumbled away.

         The portal was on the wall; coincidentally, it was the same wall Clary turned into a mural. Simon thought that that was just a cruel joke.

        He felt something land on the roof beside him and turned, Protean ready.

         "Woah there," Kazuma grinned, raising his hands in false surrender.

          "I thought you guys were in Europe," Simon said just as Sebastian and Dylan popped out of nowhere.

         "Where's Clary?" Sebastian immediately asked. Despite knowing that his sister was more than capable of handling herself, he still worried about her.

          "How do you think little C would take it if we beat her to the portal?" Kazuma asked, an amused grin plastered on his face.

         "Not everyone is as competitive as you," said Dylan, adjusting his glasses.

        "Where's the fun without a little beating someone else's ass?" The half Jap grinned, making his parabatai shake his head.

        Simon turned his attention back to garden just in time to see his bestfriend slice a demon in half, but the more she killed, the more the portal seemed to work.

         "We need to close that thing," Sebastian said.

         Kazuma gave his signature carefree grin.

         "You got it boss," he said before jumping off the roof and doing a mid air flip before landing in an elegant crouch, catching half of the demons' attention.

       "Who's up for a little fun?" He grins before swiping his Protean into rod from just as Simon and the other rained down, bringing years of anti-demon training with them.