Windows and Willows

WINDOWS AND WILLOWS

I have been accused of my parents’ murder. I, Charlotte McCarty, who everyone knows as the orphan who works in the bakery and hands out free samples every Saturday and Sunday, have been convicted of a murder.

On the day the police came and asked me questions, Davis Parker, my best friend also came over. When the police are done with me, Davis meets me at the top of the stairs and walks with me to my room. We both sit down on my twin bed. I tell him exactly what’s going on.

“They asked me things like, who my friends are in this town and how long I’ve been here and if I have ever take trips away.”

“Well, have you?” He asks sarcastically, because he knows exactly where I’ve been ever since the first day I came to the orphanage. Davis lives across the street with his two parents. I have always been jealous of him, having parents and all. But he comes over to the orphanage almost every day, when John and Harper Summers are at work. They don’t like him around, because they say he is a bad influence, so he climbs a willow tree that’s next to my window.

I just glare at him.

“Well, OK then. The police came for nothing.

“Oh, believe me they came for something and they are determined to get it. You should’ve seen the looks they gave each other! And the way they stared at John and Harper like they knew exactly what was going on!” I cry while Davis moves closer. He puts his arm across my shoulders.

“Charlotte!” I jump at the sound of John’s voice, “Dinner!”

I quickly open the window signaling for Davis to get out and yell back, “Coming!”

“Bye,” Davis whispers and kisses me on the cheek, which doesn’t take me by surprise. It’s not like he’s trying to make move or anything it’s just his friendly nature.

I close the window behind him and trot down the stairs and into the dining room. The table has been set with a wonderful smelling fish fry. I sit down at the chair next to Harper and serve myself and wait to pray. John says our usual dinner prayer.

“Dear God, thank you for this food, and for these and all our blessings. Make us grateful. Amen.” It’s small, but it’s enough to get the point through.

“So, Charlotte…” John begins.

“What? You wanna ask me if I did it? Honestly, why on the face of this earth would I even think of killing my parents? I don’t even know them and God knows where they are,” I say, frustrated with everyone now.

“No,” he pauses, “I was going to talk to you about Davis.”

“Oh, sorry. I just thought—“

“No,” John interrupts, “we would never ever in a million years suspect that you would murder anyone, Charlotte.”

“Agreed,” Harper adds, “so about Davis…we know about him coming over everyday and I talked about it with John and he said that—“

“That it would be fine if he only comes over every two or three days,” he says cutting her off.

“Uhh,” is all I could come up with at first, “I guess that would work. I’ll have to talk to him about it then, but I still don’t understand why he’s an issue. He has never done a thing bad in his entire life! He’s so innocent! I don’t understand why you guys don’t see that!”

“Charlotte…sit down.” I didn’t even realize I stood up. Harper continues, “I—we think it’s better if you find more girlfriends…” She lowers her voice so I can barely hear her knowing this is a soft topic. I once had a really good friend, who was a girl, and one day she just decided that she would hate me for the rest of her life. Whenever I smiled or waved to her, she just totally ignored me. It wasn’t even that she didn’t see me she just hated me. That girl’s name is Leah Granger. I’ve never been friends with a girl ever since. I look back every once in a while, but then I realize that girls are high maintenance. You always have to listen to their sob stories and then you have to care and then give this magical advice that would fix all they’re problems. I’ve been friends with Davis ever since.

“No.” I look down at my plate of fish and try my hardest to control myself.

Once I finally got my first bite of fish, John begins a new topic hesitantly, “So… how’s the bakery pulling through?"

“It is the only bakery in town, so I would say it’s doing pretty well despite the hardships,” Harper replies through her bite, obviously done talking.

Once we’re done eating, I walk back up the stairs to work on my summer homework. I finish in about twenty minutes, so I climb out of my window and down the large willow tree and walk across the street to Davis’s house.

I look over to their driveway to see a police car parked in front of their garage. I’m not surprised, I bet the police is going around to every one I ever laid eyes on to ask them the same question. I walk around to their back yard and sneak my way up to the deck. I look inside and see the same two policemen that came to my house sitting on the couches, one in the armchair and one next too Davis in the sectional couch.