He Might Be Insane

We had been at the GCPD for hours waiting on any news about Lyla's murder. Jerome had said I could go home, that he could handle it, but I couldn't leave him alone. Mr. Cicero had stopped by for a short little while and said something to Detective Gordon, but nobody really knew what. The fortune teller left, but not before giving me the creepiest look I had ever seen in my life.

It was now going on nine 'o clock and Jim Gordon was busting through the precinct doors, quickly followed by the M.E. They looked to be having some sort of lover's quarrel before rushing into an interrogation room. Not long after that encounter Mr. Cicero was called in as well. Jerome was asleep on my shoulder and seemed to be quite comfortable, which is why I wasn't too happy when an officer came and asked me to wake him.

"Jer," I whispered, "Jerome wake up the detectives need to talk to you."

He gave a slight groan before sitting up. His red hair was still in a perfect slicked fashion and, despite the tiredness that was visible on his face, he looked okay.

"Okay, I'll see you in a bit Laskie." He kissed the top of my head before following the cop to the interrogation room.

Sighing, I went to rest my head on the wall but the semi-relaxation was interrupted by the same shaggy haired detective from earlier.

"Hey, Alaska is it? Yeah you need to come look at something." His shady wording didn't slip my notice but with everything going on I didn't really care.

"Yeah just a sec. What do I need to see?" I stood up from the chairs and stretched ever so slightly before following the detective through the precinct.

"Right through here," he said opening a door that led into a small room with another woman already in it.

•*•*•*•

"You know Mr.Cicero, from the show." Jim Gordon welcomed Jerome into the interrogation room just as I was getting settled to view the questioning.

"Yes, sir. Hello, Mr.Cicero."

"Good evening, Jerome."

"Do you know why you're here?"

"Did you find out who killed my mother?"

"You killed your mother, Jerome." I gasped at the bluntness of Detective Gordon's statement. J seemed just as surprised by the insinuation as well.

"Me?"

"You killed her up on that hill and Mr. Cicero let you clean up in his trailer. He told you to scratch the Satanist stuff on the hatchet and throw it off the bridge."

"Sir, that's absurd and - and offensive." Jer's voice was close to breaking, but I could almost tell that he was holding something back.

"- But it's the truth. What I don't know is why this man risked so much to help you. I think he's your father." At that one statement Jerome seemed to change, he seemed to be more on the defensive.

"You don't know what you're talking about.
My father was a sea captain."

"Am I wrong, Mr. Cicero?"

"Yes." Mr. Cicero decided to pipe in and take up for Jerome.

"He was a sea captain. His name was Sven Karlsen. He died at sea." The desperation coating my Ginger's voice leaked through the two way glass, and all I wanted to do was tell him everything was going to be alright.

"What was the name of his ship?"

"He worked on a lot of different ships."

"The one he went down in."