00 | hell or high water

Slipping on her high tops in the dark, Eliza stumbled around, her eyes adjusting to the darkness. From the living room downstairs she could hear the tv softly playing, accompanied by snoring.

Creeping towards her window, she flinched as it screeched against the plastic. Her breath caught as the snoring stopped, but soon continued.

Sitting on the edge, Eliza drew in a breath before reaching towards the tree. Luckily, her apartment building had many trees littered along the rocks and one just happened to be in front of her window. There wasn't much to look at anyway.

Dropping to the ground, the blonde hissed in pain from the rough tree bark. Stuffing her red hands into her sweater pocket, she held onto her keys, the coolness easing the pain.

The dark street was eerily silent, the only noise coming from the cicadas. A single lamp lit the sidewalk, but that wasn't the path she was taking. Cutting through the playground, she pulled out her flashlight and walked through the bushes.

Making her way a few streets down, she double-checked her surroundings before disappearing into an alleyway. A homeless man sat on the floor, huddled in blankets, blocking the entrance to a door.

"Spare change?" Huffing, Eliza handed over a twenty and her key. Carefully scanning the key, he handed it back allowing her to enter. With a smile the blonde opened it, the sound of dance music invading her ears.

Moving past the dancing bodies, she spotted the Employees Only sign and walked through. The music was muffled through the thick door, and Eliza scrunched her face at the smell in the air.

Pulling up her sleeve over her mouth and nose, Eliza walked down the small hallway until she reached another door. Knocking twice, a man opened the slot, narrowing his eyes at her.

"Password?" She rolled her eyes.

"Green light." He opened the door, revealing himself. She gave him a flat look when he smiled.

"I don't understand why you ask every time. I think you're just paranoid."

"It's a safety precaution, Liza. Besides, it's a good song." Scanning the room, who jutted her chin at the mystery men whispering at the table.

"Who are they?" Marcus chuckled.

"Investors."

"For who?"

"You." She turned to him, mouth wide open.

"What, why?"

"Word's spreading 'round about your racing skills. You're making it up in the world, kid."

"How much are they betting?"

"500-"

"Oh, that's not bad."

"Thousand." Eliza stared at Marcus as if he grew two heads.

"Ex-squeeze me?"

"Yeah, so... no pressure or anything."

Breathing as calmly as she could, Eliza climbed into her car. Turning the ignition, she placed her hands on the steering wheel. A sudden knock on the window made her flinch, but she relaxed when she realized who it was.

Rolling down the window, she sent Marcus a tight smile.

"Relax, kid. You've been doing this for a long time, and I know you're not gonna start losing now."

"I know, but there's just so much at stake this time." He scoffed at her words.

"Since when has money been a deciding factor on how good you drive? Never, so put your chin up and show these bastards how good you can drive."

"You got it." Sending her a wink, Marcus slipped back into the crowd.

Bringing her attention back to the front, Eliza let out a breath as she approached the starting line. Glancing at the other racer, she smirked. He seemed uneasy racing her, which boosted her confidence. She was not going to lose, and that was a promise.