Chapter 3

The poor alarm clock hardly had a chance to beep before Dean's fist crashed down on the off button. He let out a wild groan into his pillow.

     "Kill me now." His job was great. Hell, it was awesome. Except for the fact that he had to get up at Five fucking thirty. Alright, the 48 hours off that followed weren't bad. But still, five thirty! Only his brother would want to be up at this ungodly time. Or at least it felt that early.

     Cas rubbed between Dean's shoulder blades. "I'm making pancakes." He sing-songed in his husband's ear.

     Without a second thought, Dean's arms shot up beneath him, lifting his tired body. "I'm up, I'm up."

     Cas snickered as he slipped out of the bed.

So he didn't do all the work, Dean got straight into making the bacon and sausage. When it came to getting them on a plate he had to lift the pan above his head to miss Castiel. He gave the art professor a wink as he slid the food onto a plate. Cas just shook his head as he flipped the pancakes.

     "How about lunch?" Dean asked as he encased Cas in his arms.

     The angel's chest rumbled with his laugh. "Only you would be thinking of lunch before we've even eaten breakfast."

     "Food is one of the highlights of the day."

     Cas rose an eyebrow to this. "And another?" He looked over his shoulder.

     "You of course." Dean quickly saved himself.

     "Flattery isn't getting you very far Winchester."

     "Damn."

     "Mmhhm." Cas hummed, finishing the rest of their meal.

They sat down and dug in. Cas looking over several papers from school while Dean paged through the morning paper without interest. A light conversation still going on.

     "Don't wait up for me in the morning," Dean spoke. "It's great Cas. Really, but I'd rather you not murder your student's tomorrow. I don't think they need their art professor chewing their heads on a Friday." Cas had that habit of staying up to wait for Dean. First it was just with regular shifts; that or he pretended to be asleep during a 24-hour shift.

     "No promises."

     Dean's gaze lifted. "Cas-"

     "Dean." He didn't even lift his gaze. Dean's previous knowledge kicked in. Cas had to know he was okay. The reply silenced the firefighter.

     Breaking the thickness in the air, Dean set a hand on Cas's shoulder. "You know you don't have to worry about me." He offered a reassuring smile. "My bad luck streak happened three days ago. I mean, what could go wrong?"

     All Cas could do was shake his head at this. Of course he bit back his other response when he replied. "You're too cocky for your own good." Everything could go wrong, he wanted to call it out.

     "You got me there." Dean patted his husband's back before taking both plates to the sink. "It's gonna be a long day."

...

Whatever was on tv was just white noise as Dean lightly dosed on the couch. This would be the only nap he'd get for the day. No one really dared to disturb the lieutenant. Alfie made sure to be on the opposite end, so not to bother the sleeping form. Then a certain smell made its way to his nose. And suddenly he sat up. 

     "Pie," Dean turned as a familiar laugh bubbled behind him.

     "Damn, I'll have to remember that tactic Cas." Benny joined in.

     "What about pie?" Dean blinked a little groggily.

     "Lunch, Dean." Cas smiled.

     "I'm comin'." The man was still half asleep as he staggered to the table. He made sure to give Cas a peck before sitting down. The aroma of food was one of the best man-made alarm clocks. Dean was salivating just with the smell. "I am so lucky," he muttered as he dug in.

     Castiel sat back and watched Dean dig in as if this was the first and last meal he'd ever received. The smile that curled his mouth faltered at the very reason Dean ate like this. He had John Winchester's A+ parenting to thank for that.

     "Hey," Dean elbowed the man beside him. "Why the long face?"

     Cas chuckled at this. "You're talking with your mouth full again."

     Dean swallowed before speaking. "That's not an answer."

     Castiel simply shook his head.

     Dean looked at him for a few more moments before reluctantly returning to his food. He wanted the food, yes. But he always wanted to know what would ever upset Cas just a little more. Cas joined in, pushing his thoughts away.

     "How's class been?"

     "A few grumbly young adults that are struggling a little on compositions with the time limitations. But nothing new there." Cas glanced around. "No slave work around here?"

     Dean snorted. "Slave work. That practically sums it up. No, we finished that earlier. A few things we'll hold off 'till tonight just to have something to do. Matters how many calls we get from not till then."

     "You'll be thinking slave work when I hand you a mop Winchester." Rufus snipped as he walked passed with a newly refilled coffee mug. "How you doin' Cas?" The Chief paused.

     "I'm fine. You?"

     "Well with this thorn in my ass here. As alright as I can be." He tapped the back of Dean's chair as he spoke.

     "I'm not that bad."

     "You're right, cher. You're worse."

     "You're not helping Benny. You're supposed to be on my side." Benny held up his hands in defense at Dean's chiding. Dean flipped him off and finished his food as Cas did the same. Now they dug into the two slices of pie. Mostly Dean though. After he finished his own, he tried to rob some of Cas's.

     "Dean you already had some."

     "Tastes better off of your plate." Those green eyes were bright with mischief as he took another bite from his husband's slice.

     Anything Cas had to say was halted by the alarms going off. The moment the warning called for the ambulance and truck, everyone jumped into action. It was a car accident.

     "Well that was cut a little short." Dean leaned over, kissing Cas. "Thanks for the lunch." Another greedy kiss stolen. "See you tomorrow." A promise of his return. That he'd come back.

     Cas watched his husband and co. rush to get their gear. Shortly after the sirens blared from both rigs accompanied by the flashing lights. Castiel fell in love all over again with the Lieutenant in the passenger seat of truck 67. "See you tomorrow." He smiled as they drove off to do their job.

________

Hey, I'm trying to get these up but I'm still finishing the story on the other sights, and last stretch of school. Bear with me everyone...