Chapter two

"You lied to me." I slowly opened my eyes then shut them again, the light was too intense.

"You lied to me." The voice said again, "You promised that you'd never lie to me and you did." I heard footsteps, then a door slam. The person who spoke must've left. I bolted upwards, remembering everything that had happened last night. Two strong hands pushed me back down and I jerked my eyes open again. "Let go..." I croaked, my throat feels like someone rubbed sandpaper on it all night, "I need to go!" I looked over at who was holding me down, it's Connor.

"Slow down, you can't get up yet." I continued to struggle, he didn't move. I sighed, it's clear that he won't give up so I decided to stop fighting. "There you go. Get all cozy, Princess."

I glared over at him, "Why are you here? In my room?" I have boundaries, and he was certainly crossing more than one. I hate it when people come into my room. It's even weirder since he was there just...watching me.

"Because you fainted, remember?" Yes, idiot, I remember. "Enzo was sitting with you for a few minutes, then I told him to get some rest. We've been switching every few hours in case you woke up." Hours? Was I really out that long? I shot back up and looked at the clock on my desk. It's eight in the morning! I groaned.

"Why did you agree to stay? It's not like we're friends or anything. I barely even like you." This came off as kind of rude, but it is a valid question that I really do want to know the answer to. It isn't exactly like Connor to be...nurturing?

"Honestly..." His voice trailed off and he looked like he didn't want to say anything else. "Enzo was having a rough time staying with you. He took that lie really hard for some reason. I just didn't want you to wake up alone, not knowing what happened. Since you're so stunned by the fact that I can be helpful, I'll just leave you be." His tone was light and playful, but his eyes said something different. He stood up and started towards the door.

I immediately felt bad. Good job, Sol, you really know how to make people feel good about themselves! "No!" He glanced back at me and raised his eyebrows. "I mean no...it's okay. Please don't leave. Well you can if you want, I don't care either way."

He laughed, clearly I'm not too great at being casual. I watched as he sat back down. Just as he opened his mouth to say something, Enzo stepped in the room. "I shouldn't have stormed out like that. I..." His voice trailed off as he looked at me. We stared at each other for a couple seconds. Okay, this is getting a bit strange.

Connor jumped out of his seat and ran over to the door. "That's my cue. Call me when you two sort things out." He stepped outside and slammed the door shut. I looked back over at Enzo.

"So...Connor told me you stayed for a while. Thank you." I could almost feel the anger wafting off of him.

"Oui. Remember in Second Year when we met and said we'd do anything to protect each other and would never lie?" He leaned against the door, not bothering to look at me again. "I'm a man of my word. I wish I could say the same about you."

I chuckled lightly, hoping I could help the situation, "What, that I'm a man of my word?" My smile faded as he glared at me. Note to self, don't joke when he's like this. "Let's pretend I didn't say that. Look Enzo, I'm sorry, okay? I never meant to hurt you. I just had to do something, you know Connor could've died out there! You also know that you wouldn't let me go. You have to understand-"

"Oh, I have to understand. No, I don't have to do anything. You risked your life for someone you've talked to, what, one time? Two? You're selfish, Solana. You didn't even care if you died out there, you didn't care if it would've hurt me or your family. You just left like it was a game. You should have taken it seriously!"

I stood up a bit too quickly, my head was spinning. "Take things seriously? Me? When in your life have you ever taken something seriously? And I'm the selfish one? You're the one who's perfectly fine with letting a person, a human being, go off to get killed by themselves. If you ask me, that's pretty selfish!" My throat hurt even more from yelling.

"Just shut up already with the 'He would've died out there' crap! Last time I checked you live in the present. You going out there together didn't save him, everything would've happened the exact same way! How am I supposed to trust a thing you say now?"

I stalked over to him, eyes narrowed, "I wasn't going to take that chance. Last time I checked, you live in the present too, so you have no idea what would've happened either. Are you really that heartless?" As soon as those words escaped my mouth, I wished I could take them back. I covered my mouth with my hands, "Enzo, I-"

He took one step closer to me. "Me? I'm the heartless one? For a year, I was the only one here that welcomed you. Everyone else hated you since you transferred from Decora. I let my own friends ignore me just so you wouldn't have to suffer!" He threw his arms up and it looked like he was about to hit me so I flinched. He made a face, "Why did you..." He knew exactly why I flinched and started laughing, tears in his eyes. He didn't think this was the least bit funny though, "You really thought I would...wow. I never realized you thought so little of me." He ran a hand over his face and simply left. Connor almost fell over when Enzo yanked the door open. Great, he heard everything.

I stood there, shocked. What did I just do? I felt a single tear slip down my face. How could I have been so stupid? Why did I yell at him? Why did I believe, even for a second, that he would hurt me? My best friend. My family. The guy who was there for me when no one else was. The only one who talked to me for all of Second Year. The person who saved me.

Connor crept over to me, like I was a wild animal he was approaching. Like maybe if he walked slowly enough, I wouldn't go crazy. Or in this case, I wouldn't break down. He doesn't have to worry about that though. I don't feel anything. Everything is numb. I just want to lay down. I feel like sobbing, but nothing's coming out. I feel so empty. Why am I like this? People fight all the time, right? Other people at least. Enzo and I have never fought before. What if he never talked to me again? What if I ruined everything? This is all my fault. Me. Two words echoed in my head, over and over again.

My fault...

My fault...

My fault...

My fault...