Chapter 1: Can't Say The Same

A/N: I (sadly) own none of the Harry Potter characters. The forever amazing (but evil) J.K. Rowling does, so all rights go to her. I only own my OC Lauren.

Sorry for that sucky description. I've never been very good at those! XD The amazing cover was made by my best friend PercysBlueInk, make sure to go check out her profile and stories and our Percy Jackson fan fiction on our joined account MoonandWisdom!

I'm posting this about two weeks before school starts because when it does start I won't be able to update my stories (not like I ever update anyway) because I'm starting high school yikes. This is just another story to update when I have a holiday or a weekend off . .

I walked out of what was left of the entrance of the Hogwarts castle with my best friend, Ginny Weasley. Half of the place that hadn't only been my school but my second home for seven years was in rubble.

It almost made me cry again to see this once beautiful place, and so many innocent lives along with it, destroyed after the battle of Hogwarts.

Then again, I didn't have it as bad as Ginny.

Near the end of the battle, for a few minutes, she had been led to believe that her boyfriend, Harry Potter, was dead. And even before then, one of her older brothers, Fred, had been killed by a misaimed spell causing a wall to collapse on top of him.

Yeah, I didn't it near as bad as Ginny.

"Ginny?" I said. We were walking down the path towards the town of Hogsmeade for a butterbeer, though we both knew it wouldn't be able to cheer us up like it usually was able to what seemed like so many years ago.

"Yes?" she replied in a sad, tired voice. She didn't sound anything like her usual happy self.

"I just wanted to say that I'm really sorry. About Fred. He was fun to be around, and he'll be missed." I wasn't really sure what else I could say without tearing up myself.

Ginny nodded, too overwhelmed with her emotions to speak. I hugged her and she hugged me back, because that's what best friends do after a life-traumatizing event.

***

The two of us were sipping our butterbeers in The Three Broomsticks, and I was reminded of all the happy times we had had in here, and how we wouldn't have times like that for a long while.

The differnce between now and back then?

There were few other customers in the place, and they were all like Ginny and I: tired and hungry, with dark circles under their eyes and their clothes ripped and covered with dirt and blood.

Professor McGonagall suddenly walked in and headed straight towards all.

"Miss Thompson,"she said to me, "I'm afraid I have terrible news for you."

"What is it, Professor?" I asked, trying to hide any panic in my voice. Right now really wasn't the time for more bad news.

"I was just informed that your house has been destroyed and that your parents are currently missing. They are believed to have been captured by Death Eaters a few days before the battle begun, as there were no signs of their remains in the rubble of the house."

I was shocked into silence for a full minute before I remembed how to speak again. "Is that all, Professor?" I choked out, it was suddenly getting much harder to breathe.

"Yes, it is. I truly am very sorry, Miss Thompson. I wish I hadn't had to be the one to deliver that news to you, but I wish you the best and I hope your parents are found soon."

And with that, the Headmistress of Hogwarts walked out of the Three Broomsticks.

"Lauren. . ." Ginny started.

"I-It's okay. I'm f-fine. I'm sure my parents are okay and that they'll be found. It's just. . . my house is gone. I don't know where I'm going to stay now."

Ginny thought about it for a few moments, then, for the first time in a few hours, she brightened up. "You could stay at my house!"

I was surprised. "Are you serious? Would your family mind?"

"Not at all! Mum would love to have you stay for as long as you need to! C'mon, let's go now!" the red-headed girl pulled me out of my chair so fast I barely had time to put down a few galleons on the table to pay for our butterbeers.

***

We Apparated right outside of her house, the house was nothing like I had ever seen before.

The house was crooked and had a few stories attached to it. About four or five chimneys dotted the high roof of the house. The whole building looked like it could only be held up by magic. But it was all beautiful.

"It's not much. But it's home," Ginny said.

"It's perfect. I love it," I said with the first smile I had had in days on my face.

Ginny's room was on the first floor. It was small, but bright, and overlooked an orchard. It was decorated with posters of the Weird Sisters and the Holyhead Harpies captain, Gwenog Jones.

"Welcome to your home for the summer, Lauren." I grinned.

So my parents are missing right now. I know that they will be found eventually and I'll be back with them soon. As for the Weasley family and Fred, I can't say the same.

A/N: This was so painful to write. And I just realized that I make all of my OCs, even the one in the story on my joined account, go through some kind of pain involving their parents. . . oops?

Please tell me if I made any grammatical mistakes, I have a tendency to make those. Follows, votes, and comments are always (haha) appreciated, but PLEASE DO NOT ask when I will update this story or my other ones because I honestly DO NOT KNOW.

~Ann