Chapter 2: Sounds, Conversations, and Deals In The Night

A/N: Thanks for 19 reads, 3 votes, and 2 comments on the first chapter! I honestly didn't expect that much so quickly since I rarely update my other stories (yet I'm updating this) and I bet you guys are just about done with my procrastination, in which I don't blame you at all. Dedicated to Dancin4evah for voting and commenting! :)

The rest of the Weasleys had gotten home a few hours after we had. None of them said anything and just went to their rooms, except for Mrs. Weasley.

I have to say, in that moment I admired Molly Weasley. With everything that had happened to her and her family in just the past few days alone, she managed to put a smile on her face when she saw me.

"Hello dear! Lauren, right?"

"Yes m'am. Ginny said I could stay here for a while, because. . . my parents are missing right now."

"Oh dear, I'm sorry to hear that. Well you're welcome to stay here as long as you need to," she pulled me into a hug that made me a feel a little better, but in the back of my mind it reminded me of hugging my mother so long ago.

"Thank you, Mrs. Weasley."

***

I slept in Ginny's room that night, thanks to a little magic (Mrs. Weasley made a second bed appear) but after many failed attempts, I couldn't fall asleep. So I just laid there with my eyes open doing absolutely nothing.

Until I heard the sounds.

They woke me up, though at first I wasn't sure what the sounds were. After a minute, I realized it was crying. Sobbing, actually. It sounded like it was coming from upstairs.

I had a mental battle in my head.

You should go see what it is, one voice said.

Don't be stupid! You don't know where exactly the crying is coming from, and you don't know what's upstairs! the other voice said.

About two minutes later, my overwhelming curiousity (thanks to being a former Ravenclaw) getting the better of me, I decided to investigate.

Not wanting to wake up Ginny, I opened her door as silently as I could and closed it the same way. I quietly crept up the spiral steps to the second floor, where the sobbing got louder.

I located the sounds coming from behind a door with a sign that said: Weasley's Wizard Wheezes. This must be Fred and George's old room, in which George was in now. I know he's here because I saw him trudge upstairs when the Weasley family got home. He wasn't able to handle going back to he and his brother's joke shop.

I lightly knocked. "George?"

The sobbing stopped, it was completely quiet before he spoke. "Who is it? What do you want?"

"It's Lauren. Can I come in?"

The Weasley sighed. "Fine." I hear a click as he unlocks the door and opens it wide enough for me to walk in.

I'm not exactly sure what I expected him to look like after all he had gone through, but it was probably not as bad as what he actually did look like.

He still had the clothes he wore in the battle on, so they were ripped and had drops of blood in many places. He had the biggest of dark circles under his eyes, and he had lots of cuts and dried blood on his face, neck, and arms. He also had long streaks of dried tears running down his face.

The room had the faintest smell of gunpowder and was filled with boxes with things stored from Weasley's Wizard Wheezes, but there was enough space for a desk covered with other things from the joke shop and two beds.

One of the beds was undone, the other was perfectly made, ready for an occupant to climb under it's covers and drift off to their own reality known as dreams. I assumed the made one was Fred's, unless George had been sleeping in Fred's. . .

We sat on the made one, whoever's it was. There was a long, agonizing, awkward minute of silence between us.

I spoke up first. "Most people would ask if you're okay, but I know you're not, so I'm not going to ask."

"Thanks. I could say the same for you though."

Another minute or so of awkward silence.

"I'm sorry about Fr-you know."

"I'm sorry about your parents."

"They're most likely going to be found though."

" 'Most likely' isn't 'Will be'."

"I guess."

"Sorry for waking you up," George gave a weak attempt at a laugh.

I also tried to laugh. "It's okay. I wasn't sleeping. . . how did you know about my parents? I thought you didn't come back down. . ."

"Mum came up to bring me dinner. She told me you were here and why."

"Oh."

"Yeah."

"It's the middle of the night. You should get some sleep," I said.

"So should you," he said.

"We'll go to sleep and wake up in the morning well rested. Deal?"

"Deal," he said, with a genuine smile, and we shook hands.

I quietly went back downstairs and climbed into my bed in Ginny's room. I closed my eyes and, surprisingly enough, I woke up the morning quite well rested.

A/N: So I read this writing tips/guide thing by this super awesome writer and she said you shouldn't give your readers exactly what they want in the very beginning (like I accidentally did in my earlier stories ahaha oops) so I'm gonna (attempt to) do that in this story.

It'll be a hard and long journey for you and me both, my readers. And not just because of me trying to take the love in this story at a steady pace, but because of the still devastating fact that Fred is dead. *silently screams my heart out at J.K. Rowling*

A story from a few hours ago: So I woke up this morning and checked the notifications on my phone because I usually get a few from Wattpad and another app during the night. It said I got a PM from a person who's username I didn't recognize. Curious, I pulled up the website on my phone and read the message. Guys, I almost cried. The person asked me for fan fiction writing advice. ME. Me, a person with stories that aren't near as good as many others on here and that I rarely update. I replied about an hour ago, but I'm still grinning like an idiot.

So, I had a pretty good morning. Votes, comments, and follows are always (ahaha) appreciated! I'll try to update this story and my others ASAP, I promise!

~Ann