10

Five minutes had passed and I had no sight of Edmund. Maybe he left me? Went back to the house?

I took a few more steps and then out of nowhere I was knocked out by him. He jumped on me and I lost my balance, fell flat on my back. His face was split in a wide smile as he laughed at me and found it funny seeing me helpless on the ground.

"I found you! What took you so long, Thea? You even didn't try hard enough." Edmund said breathlessly. 

"I... I... please, can you get off of me?" My breathing was becoming hard and my heart raced, as time dragged while he was on top of me. 

Edmund stopped, he rested his hands on the ground on each side of my head and I saw his smile slowly disappear. He was looking deep in my eyes with his pearly looking orbs, which made me feel uncomfortable. After eternity his head came closer to me. Some fine locks of his brown silky hair fell on his forehead sending small tickles over my own skin. I could feel his breath, it had a faint scent of mint and something else and those eyes were serious, almost angry looking, I could see his dark eyebrows frown.

"Thea! ... Never order me around!" Edmund's voice sounded threatening.

Seeing him so close to me, my master almost looked like a supernatural being - some thing in human disguise, his true identity barely visible. Only his eyes suggested his true nature. All of a sudden I felt afraid and very vulnerable under his gaze. Maybe my imagination made it worse, but I could not comply with this so easily. I didn't want to feel this way. 

"Get off of me!" I tried to push his form away. At the same time, I felt bitter tears well up in my eyes.

"Thea!"

"Please, Edmund! Let me go...." and then I realized what I had done, but it was too late to fix my mistake. I had called him by his name. Something a slave should never do when addressing their owner. All the tears which I had been trying to hide came out. Now I was really afraid of what he will do. "I am so sorry, sorry...." I cried panicked. "...sorry, my master....".

Finally, his sight shifted away from me on something in a distance. I could see the muscles in his delicate jaw clench. Was he so angry at me? 

In slow motion, he lifted himself up from me, straightened his shirt, like there was any dirt clinging on and walked away. 

"Lord Wiltshire, I am sorry to disturb you in your day's ......activities..., but governor Atkins have arrived and want to see you." a voice of a grown man came from a distance - not so far from us.

"Tell him I am busy."

"But my Lord, he has traveled far just to have a word with you, it would be unkind to send him away without a proper greeting."

"I know what I have to do. You don't need to remind me, Nicolas." Edmund sounded annoyed.

I steadied on my feet and saw a man I have not met yet. Man was tall and strongly built, with wide shoulders. He had black vest with a snow-white shirt under it. He almost looked like a noble, but I could tell he was just another servant. This man's skin was dark brown, hair on his head black and very short. He looked almost bald. When he talked his voice sounded deep and strong, like he himself.

"Thea, we are going back. Get up!" my master said not taking a glance at me.

Tears were coating my cheeks, but I quickly wiped them off. In small steps I closed in on Edmund. I followed him anxiously. The man behind was taking it's time, not hurrying up a bit.

Few minute walk seemed to drag like hours. We did not say a word to each other. I was afraid, he looked like somebody who would want to punch the first thing in front of him. Did I angered him so much?

He stopped me in front of a large door. "Stay here and wait for me. Don't go anywhere."

"Y..yes, master." I lowered my eyes at the last word. 

Edmund walked in gracefully and I could hear an older man's voice greet him until the door shut tight and I was left alone.