From PhD to teaching yoga

After many twists and turns, there I was.. the PhD student I had always wanted to be. I was working towards getting this degree I had wanted my whole life. My days consisted of statistical analysis of my data, reading research articles and fighting through my overpowering procrastination in order to write a few sentences a day. 

I have to write a thesis.. that's basically a book.. A book that will take approximately 4 years to write. And if that's not bad enough, a grand total of 4 people will end up reading it. And yes. That does include my mum. 

Day in day out, data analysis, reading more research papers and writing two more sentences and deleting the two I wrote the day before as in hindsight my more mature day older self recognizes the inferior work of yesterday's self. 

What kept me sane in this whole soul destroying process? My daily yoga practice at 7am. It gave me a way to work through the baby step nature a PhD has. You see, a PhD requires daily commitment towards writing the thesis. It's the same with a yoga practice. You won't reach enlightenment, or more simply you won't  achieve a perfect headstand, by practicing for 5 hours in just one day. It requires daily dedication. Your ego is destroyed each time you step on the mat. It's the same as when you open up your word document titled 'my thesis'.

Fast forward a few years and my PhD is framed yet collecting dust on the floor. And I'm now officially a yoga teacher. Looking forward to filling in the dots to the story.