Best Friends and a Tic-Tac

Y/n's POV

It was a Thursday afternoon when I woke up to my phone ringing. It was my best friend since kindergarten, Michael. Michael wasn't the type to call people so I assumed something was wrong, and answered it right away. "Hello? Michael?" I said. Michael answered in a very smooth voice, almost sounding flirty. "Heeeey Y/n whats up dude??" "Nothing much. Just woke up to you calling me." I said. I was still really tired so I tried not to sound too grumpy. "Man you should come over.. I'm bored and I have to tell you something." He said. "Can't you just tell me over the phone?" I said. It was clear that Michael was high, and just wanted to chill out for a bit. But I really wasn't feeling like it. He responded about 7 seconds after I asked him to tell me over the phone. "...what?" I responded shortly after. "Bye, Michael." "WAIT NO I-" was the last thing I heard before I hung up.

Checking the time, I noticed it was about 1:30 PM. I put my phone on do not disturb, and got up. All I was wearing was black hipster underwear, and an old t-shirt my dad gave me before he passed away. I stood and stretched to the ceiling as high as I could reach, not very high because I was kind of short. I stared at an old Dear Evan Hansen script I bought last month for about 10 seconds. I kept thinking I should really finish it but I just brushed it off, and went downstairs. I was still very tired and almost slipped down the steps of my stairs before catching myself. "damn it.." I mumbled to myself. I walked down the stairs like a normal person to make some tea. After I'd made and drank my tea, I decided to go get dressed and head to the mall. It was normal for me to skip school, so I didn't really care what anyone had to say to me about it. Especially my moms boyfriend, Ben. He scares me sometimes.

I put on a pastel yellow sundress with white ruffles, knee high white stockings, black converse, and a little book bag. Then I just left my hair down, and grabbed $116 from my stash of birthday and Christmas money. I didn't look that good but at least I was comfortable. I walked to the mall, which thankfully was only about 30 minutes away, and headed inside. Everything was so loud inside the mall. Children yelling and running at full speed, teen lovebirds fighting about some chick the guy looked at, moms and daughters screaming at each other... man I love it hear.

I walked over to the nearest Barnes & Noble to check out any new books on aliens, musicals, or murder. Nothing new. I was about to walk out of the store when a guy stopped me and pulled me into the back. I was freaking out because I've never been attacked before. I kept trying to punch and kick him where it hurts, but he was dodging my every move. How the hell was he dodging every single move?! Then I started screaming as loud as could, which I'm sure caught the attention of some shoppers before he slapped his hand over my mouth. I couldn't help but tear up.

I was about to give up before he started talking to me. "Listen kid, I got something you need. It's no secret that you are one of the most depressing kids anyone has ever met, so take this." He handed me a pill that said something on it, but my eyes were too watery to make it out. "It's called a Squip. Take it with mountain dew- I DON'T KNOW WHY. It makes you cool, hip, and as popular as you can be." I responded with a shaken voice. "Sir.. please, just let me go.. I don't want to take this.." I was usually nervous around other people, but in this situation, I was practically broken. "It's not drugs idiot. Just take it. And if you need to shut it off then-" He looked like he was just struck by lightning, as he held his head. "GAH-..never..*huff*..mind.." I stared at him while putting the little pill into my bag. He then pointed to the door, signaling for me to leave. I left Barnes & Noble, and didn't look back.

After about 20 minutes of lingering in and out of stores I came across a vending machine, and I remembered the Squip. I was supposed to drink mountain dew with it.. so whatever. I bought a mountain dew from the vending machine and slipped it into my bag. After getting the drink I decided to just head home. It was starting to get boring and I didn't even remember why I came here in the first place.

I took the bus home because I was to lazy to walk. Which was actually nice because I got to listen to some music for a little bit, and just enjoy the city's scenery. I think I was caught in a daze with my music.. it was so nice, and soothing..

As my music finished, my stop pulled up and I quickly got off. The walk from the bus stop to home wasn't so bad, I was just a bit out of breath because it wasn't regular for me to walk. Whenever I was on my way to school Michael would always pick me up, and on my way back, he would take me home. So I didn't walk much.

I stood in front of my house, bored out of my mind. You know what?.. I'll just go to the park. Now, I never usually just decide to go to the park that's next to my house, because I'm just not that active. However, I thought today it would be quite nice to sit on a creaky bench in the middle of the hot sun, reading a book I didn't care about. So I did that for a few hours.

- BACK HOME -

When I got home, I was about to walk in when I noticed Ben's truck. Damn it. I hate it when he tries to talk to me or act like he's my dad. He was awkward and.. creepy. I sighed and walked in through the door. Ben was sitting on our couch with a stained tank-top and boxers on, drinking a beer. "Heeeey Y/n." Ugh. With this shit again. "You mind handing your step-dad another beer?" Step-dad? He wasn't even fit to be a babysitter. "Get your own beer, Ben." I replied. I would soon regret that. "What the hell did you say to me?!" Shit I didn't think he was drunk.. He jumped off of the couch and walked towards me with a pissed look on his face. I back up with every step of his syncing to my own. A wall! Shit! I was cornered. "You ever talk to me like that again, you're dead." He then slapped me and I fell on the floor. I softly cried a bit while he walked over to me. "What's my name?" He asked. "D-dad.." I said barely able to move. I tried getting up but he kicked me in the stomach. I let out a slight yelp before he walked back to the couch.

After 2 minutes of lying on the floor, I managed to get up and make my way to my room, limping with pain from every step. My stomach hurt so much. Where was mom? Why was he here all the time? Did he even have a job? Why does she love him more than me?.. I plopped on my bed with everything I had left in me. Then I remembered the Squip. I could take it.. and be cool. These things wouldn't happen. I wouldn't be fucking miserable. I quickly pulled out the pill and the drink, and took a swig before actually taking the pill. I hated mountain dew but.. I was thirsty. After a few seconds of tasting the mountain dew, I finally swallowed the pill with it.