Preface- Aisling Quin

“Mommy, I don’t want to go.” Fiorenza pouted, crossing her little arms. I looked down at her solemn face. Today was the day.

“Fi, you have to go. Its the rules.” I said softly. I took her by the hand and led her to the bathroom. There, she squirmed and wiggled as I pulled her white-blonde hair back into a ponytail. I fitted her with her new clothes, and I laced up her clean, black shoes. 

“You can go watch TV, Fi.” I smiled. As soon as she left, I headed back to her room. Looking about the pink room, I sighed. This little room was bursting with youth and life. 

“I can’t believe that today is the day.” A deep voice said. Behind me, at the doorway, stood my husband, Thomas. He walked to me and wrapped his arms around me. I didn’t say a word. We stood there for a moment, taking our emotions and preparing ourselves for the day to come. Silently, I broke away and dropped to my knees. Under Fiorenza’s bed was two suitcases. I dragged them out and sat them on her bed. I piled all her clothes, shoes, hair ties, and stuffed animals into the first one. In the second, I placed her blanket, her favorite doll, some money, her supplies, and a small box, containing Thomas’s favorite watch, and the locket my mother gave me when I was exactly her age. Fumbling in my pocket, I grabbed a slip of paper, and slipped it inside the locket. Finally, I zipped up the bags and set them neatly by the doorway.

“What time do we have to be there? Ten?” Thomas asked me,

“Yeah. We have less than an hour.” I said,

“Four years ago, I didn’t think it was going to be this hard.” He whispered,

“Four years ago, we were seventeen. We weren’t even married yet. We were stupid.”

“Four years ago, we were there. I remember it, Aisling. She isn’t ready for this!” He groaned,

“I know.” I kissed him, “But we can get through this. Try not to think about it. I love you.” 

“I love you too.” He said, trying to smile. “Now go get ready, I’ll bring down her bags.”

I took one last look around the room before I walked out after him. I closed the door, and I took down the letter stickers that spelled out her name. I stepped into my room and changed into a new dress and heels. I combed my hair and tied it back in an elaborate bun. I glanced at the clock. It was 9:35, and it was time to go. I gave Fiorenza one last hug, took her hand, and walked out the door. 

Thomas was already outside. The horses were already hitched up to the wagon, and he was sitting in the front seat. I climbed in and sat Fi in between us. I hated traveling where we couldn’t walk. The roads were cluttered with rubbish called car. I think people used to use cars for transportation, before the Crash. We rode past many of these cars on the way to the town square. Five other families were there already, huddling together like penguins in the winter. We parked the wagon and walked to join them. 

“Aisling!” I heard someone calling my name. I looked up, and a woman approached me. Her black wavy hair hung loose at her shoulders, and a permanent sneer was etched upon her dark face. 

“Hello, Vivian.” I said pleasantly, 

“What does it feel like? Sending your child back to a place you only left three years ago. I bet she even remembers it.” She said,

“Vivian, please. Save your cutting comments for another day. It is a day of sorrow for our family.” 

“All apologies. My son is leaving today as well, he’s my fourth.” She said,

“I’m sorry to hear that.” I said,

Before she could respond, The clock began to chime, ten times. Fiorenza clung to my legs in fear. A tall young man walked into the square. With a loud, booming voice, he declared:

“Hello citizens! My name is Rupert Walden, and I am the Student Officer of Collection. Now, all families, come with me. Follow in a single file line. I promise you, this will only take a few hours. Just some introductory procedures. Then, Parents, you can go about your normal lives. Are you ready to visit Schola Insanistis? The train is just around the corner.”

We followed quickly and quietly, and suddenly, everything went black.