Chapter 9: Muse, Meet My Friends

A tall, bald man with whiskers was pouring a drink at the furthest end of the room. Seated on the sofa nearest him were two ladies, one slim and blonde, the other a pretty and curvy brunette. Standing close by was Jay and three other people-a lady and two other men. The lady was standing arm in arm with one of them, a handsome older gentleman.

Just as she decided they must be Colonel and Doctor Potter- the only married couple there would be that night- Jay noticed her standing at the door, the same time the whiskered fellow looked up from his cocktail.

"Finally a new face," he declared.

"Come in Karen."

She stepped into the room and became the centre of attention.

Perhaps it was her hair- half up and half falling over her shoulder. Perhaps it was the velvet boy suit she wore with matching ballet flats. The shorts buttoned closed just above her knees and the fitted vest was open with the single chain clasped under her bust allowing the ruffled front of her butter coloured blouse to show.

"And she's a sight for sore eyes," said the unattached man standing with Jay as she came abreast.

"Everyone meet Karen Fox. My house guest."

He introduced her to the Colonel and his pleasant wife. Mark Thornton- the one who thought she was a sight for sore eyes- was a lawyer. Whiskers' name was actually Steve O'London.

"From Manhattan," he told her.

The willowy blonde was Tamlyn and her prettier, plumper companion was named Eve. They were both photographers.

Steve, a restaurateur, made her orange and soda, making sympathetic noises about her being unable to drink for a while.

"He would cluck the same way if you told him you were pregnant," Tamlyn told her drily. "To Steve, alcohol is a salve."

That caused him to bellow, "Hear, hear!"

For some reason, Karen was glad his voice matched his size.

"I love your suit," Tamlyn was telling her, "and the way your hair matches the whole thing. I wouldn't look half as good in that because my hair only matches the shirt!"

Eve laughed. "It is lovely, doll."

Karen flushed a little at the pet name. "Thank you."

She knew she was lucky her hair didn't clash with lots of her clothes and it seemed there were enough shades to match pretty much anything.

The doorbell rang and Jay went to answer it.

Karen heard a myriad of sounds the moment he opened the door. Female and male voices and another car.

"We arrived at the same time. Oh and look, it's Tim and Sandy."

And the party was complete.

Veronica, the designer, Timothea- a business partner of Jay's, Sanders — the physical trainer and David the painter cum author all came in and were introduced to Karen.

Veronica shook her hand pleasantly enough before greeting her other friends. Tim smiled and loved the suit, Sanders shook his head and good naturedly commented on how Jay caught all the good ones. David groaned, telling her that her hair would haunt him.

Soon after that, Mrs Brown announced dinner.

Veronica was pleased to be seated at the opposite end of the table until she realised Karen Fox was sitting to his right. Steve saw this and laughed.