~Chapter One: Mr. Stark~

Three weeks after the alien attack on New York, Stark Tower, now known as Avengers Tower.

Pepper awoke late in the night, sometime maybe around three or three thirty-ish. She blinked and slowly sat up, her soft blue eyes drifted around the room before landing on the figure that lay next to her in the bed. That figure was Tony who called out inaudible words and twitched violently in his sleep. Pepper paused for a long minute or two, contemplating waking him up or not, he had asked before not to wake him up... but how could she just sit there and let him be hurting like this? She stared him with a sad look for just another second then reached over and flicked the right lamp on, adjusting to the light quickly and again turning her attention to her partner.

"Tony?..." She murmured cautiously as she moved her hand and lightly set it on his shoulder, shaking him ever so softly.

Tony had been having these nightmares since all of what happened three weeks ago, that is, when he actually slept... Most nights he stayed up in his lab, sipping on coffee and whatever booze he had on hand as of the moment (which was always something strong). Pepper knew Tony better than anyone else (except Rhodey obviously) and could tell he was doing what he always did when he was upset, frustrated, confused, or worried. He would work, try to keep himself as busy as possible so that he wouldn't have to think about whatever it was that made him feel that way. Stark would build and tinker with his suits, tech, and other miscellaneous items on and on, sunset to sunrise, and even though he didn't really ever think about it too much, it just didn't leave plenty of time for Pepper or any kind of relationship.

Tony sat up straight with a sharp inhale of breath, causing Pepper to jump back in shock, his brown eyes wide and his chest covered in sweat, panting as if almost unable to breathe. There was a glassy look in his eyes, staring off as if he was still deep in the nightmare, as if he couldn't get away...

'He looks so afraid...' Pepper thought to herself, then bravely she asked again, "Tony?..." It came out as a soothing, caring whisper. He snapped his head towards her for a moment before looking down, Pepper furrowed her brows a little and Tony slowly calmed down, relaxing just a little.

"Yea?" Tony questioned in his normal and calm yet almost snarky tone, clearing his throat and trying to brush Pepper's worried look off, as always he wore a  stony look on his face. He then wiped his face off with a hand and like Pepper had when she woke up he looked around the room.

"You were just... having another nightmare..." Pepper answered in an almost silent voice, chewing her lip, she didn't know how to talk to him about these things. Every single time he had a nightmare or some kind of PTSD trip she would try so hard to get him to open up, but she always had to be careful, if she pushed too hard then they would just end up not talking for a few days. She sighed and gave in to the idea of trying again, taking in a breath and looking to him as she said

"Tony when are we going to talk about this?" Pepper's soft misty blue eyes met Tony's as he looked back to her, he then rolled out of bed, her hand slipping from his shoulder. She proceeded to let her head hang low with a soft sigh, she felt somewhat frustrated but mostly just saddened by the fact that they were together but... they weren't at times. It was his stubbornness to not rely on anyone else for anything, which given his past with his dad- rather how he lost his parents it was understandable.

"Pepper, honey, you know I love you but- just." His voice was gruff and tired, worn out and almost... shaky? Stark walked over to his dresser and set his hands on top, leaning against it and looking down. He knew she just wanted best for him but he just... wasn't ready. Tony then shook his head and opened one of the drawers, pulling out a clean shirt and sliding it on wearily.

'Great...' Pepper thought to herself, like any other night they should be talking he would instead leave her sleeping alone in their bed and go get drunk in his stupid lab. She felt like they were tearing apart at the seems, simply unraveling and falling away from one another, like they already kinda had been for a while now...