💽 | Jhope: Hope World

His "calling card to the world," Hope World is the first solo mixtape released by J-Hope (Jung Hoseok) of Korean pop group BTS.

Colloquially referred to as Hixtape by the ARMY fandom pre-release, the album was released on multiple platforms at midnight (KST) March 2, 2018.

The title is likely a shoutout to J-Cole's 2011 debut studio album, Cole World: The Sideline Story which J-Hope has previously mentioned as an artistic influence. (For more, see the "Hope World" song bio.)

Consisting of seven tracks, the mixtape spans genres of hip-hop, trap, EDM, futuristic funk, and dance-infused pop.

On March 2, 2018 (KST), BigHit also released a music video for "Daydream" on their official YouTube Channel.

Although released as a mixtape, available for free download in several places, Hope World was also made available for purchase on iTunes and hit #1 in more than 50 countries. This set a new record for hitting number #1 in the most iTunes stores/regions by a Kpop soloist.

TRACKLIST

1. Hope World

2. P.O.P (Piece OF Peace) pt. 1

3. Daydream (백일몽)

4. Base Line

5. 항상 (HANGSANG)

6. Airplane

7. Blue Side (Outro)

INFO + LYRICS
(source: https://genius.com/albums/J-hope/Hope-world)

1. Hope World
J-Hope has said that "Hope World" is his attempt to "show everyone who I am." The title track to his 2018 solo mixtape, it blends an upbeat pop sound with hip-hop and dance influences.

The title/track name may be a shoutout to J-Cole's 2011 debut studio album, Cole World: The Sideline Story and also a callback to J-Hope's verse that mentions Cole World on "Hip Hop Lover / Phile (힙합성애자)" from BTS' first full studio album Dark & Wild released in 2014.

The first reference of "Hope World" comes in the following verse (translated):

"The artist, ring that rang through my heart
Expressing it with their bodies, Biggie, 2Pac, Nas
I found out more about myself
Hope hope world
Before I made my own world, Cole world"

The verse namedrops hip-hop artists and albums J-Hope considers influential in building his love of the genre and helping him learn more about himself "before [he] made his own world" as an artist.

With the release of his mixtape bearing the name Hope World, it could be considered a statement that he has matured and come full circle, now able to create the artistic world that, before, he looked to other artists to provide.

—————————————————✈️
2. P.O.P (Piece OF Peace) pt. 1
- BTSxREN

An expression of J-Hope's desire "to become a part of someone's personal peace through my music," "P.O.P (Piece of Peace) Pt.1" is an optimistic, pop-infused hip-hop manifesto about the power of music to bring comfort and inspire change.

————————————————✈️
3. Daydream (백일몽) - jobton2

This is J-hope's first solo single which came out as a music video on Big Hit Entertainments youtube channel on March 1st, 2018. Its on the album 'Hope World'. It shows him in a daydream in all the things he wishes to do. Not worrying about anything even though he knows it won't last forever. Many people say the video reminds them of the artist Andy Warhol's work. And some parts have a very old school feel including the text, colors, and the sweats and bucket hat outfit he wears in one of the scenes.