f i v e

He closed the white door behind his back and leaned on the white walls clicking his tongue in annoyance. Why couldn't he listen to the nurse? He didn't want to be nosy or anything like that—it was all the opposite. He just wanted to help the blonde who constantly seemed to be present in his life.

Now that he thought about it, he didn't know what kind of interest he had towards Temari. Endearment? He couldn't [possibly] feel endearment towards a girl with whom he argued with most of the day. The girl was beautiful, yes, but her character didn't go with Shikamaru's being.

He sighed. What now? He was there, either way worrying. Nothing he could say in those moments could matter more than knowing why Temari was so... delicate lately.

"Miss!" Shikamaru turned his face towards the right [where] the door opened all of a sudden. He could only see a Temari with mixed emotions on her face before losing sight of her when she began running.

He blinked a few times without understanding anything. The nurse that had attended her was in the doorway, tired. She threw a strange glance towards Shikamaru [to which he interpreted as]: go after her, now!

Without thinking too much about it—strangely—he decided to go after her, or at least try to catch up to her since he had taken a bit of time to react.

He had to run carefully as to not bump into the people who passed by his side since they were clearly in not a good state.

He didn't give himself the time to catch his breath but from one moment to another, he found himself a few steps from catching up to her.

'Damn it, she runs too fast!' He thought as he stretched his arm at chest level. He gathered his strength and gave one last step before strongly taking Temari's arm and abruptly stopping her.

"What?!" Upon seeing her face to face, he only saw anguish and pain, her cheeks and eyes were red, her tears fell from her eyes nonstop. The girl's chest rose and lowered, making Shikamaru nervous.

"Where are you going?" He asked seriously; it wasn't normal for her to run out like that all of a sudden.

"Where else? Home," She passed a hand over her face to clear the trail of tears, but it was impossible.

"What did the nurse tell you?"

"It's none of your business," In a fast movement, she managed to make Shikamaru let go of her hand; she looked at him angrily as she turned towards the exit.

"Hey, wait!" He tried stopping her, but she was running once again in a failed attempt to escape from everything she had just found out. "Damn it..."

***

She cursed at herself seeing how her hands trembled; she couldn't even manage to place the key in the hole and the wind moved her hair and chilled her face. Once finally managing to open the door, she entered.

The clock she had in plain view marked 10:47 pm which indicated she had been out all day. Counting from the moment from when she ran out of that asphyxiating hospital, she hadn't had the minimal intention of passing by her house or by her brothers'.

Turning on her phone, it surprised her that it didn't explode from all the missed calls and unread texts.

Gaara: (29)
Matsuri: (19)
Unknown: (25)

More than fifty calls.

Gaara: (28)
Matsuri: (25)
Unknown: (30)

More than sixty calls.

They were going to kill her.

So what? Nothing mattered to her. Not even that a stranger had called her, as it was logical to think that the stranger was Shikamaru himself; how did he even get her number? Not even that mattered.

Everything... was worth a shit at that moment.

She left the phone to her side on the sofa. The place was in complete silence, so much so that it was uncomfortable despite her being alone.

She was alone...

She let her head fall back. Many images of how thunderous her day had been came to mind.

Especially from her stay at the hospital.

The white sheets were rugged from the pressure she applied with her hands. She had been there for a few minutes just after Shikamaru had left the room and the nurse analyzed her with a calm smile on her face. She couldn't understand anything, maybe she didn't have any grave disease and this was just [a faint].

Or at least that's what she hoped it was.

"So?" She raised a brow as she swallowed saliva; perhaps she was the only one who was creating a tense ambient on her own. "What do I have? Is it bad? Am I going to die?" She bombarded the nurse with questions which made the nurse laugh.

What the hell was so funny?

"No, you're not going to die," She denied. "You're as healthy as ever, in fact," She licked her lips slowly, "Your health is in perfect state."

She understood nothing; she came here because she had almost fainted.

"Oh yeah? Well then, if I'm fine, then what am I doing here?" She wasn't going to admit how nervous she was at that moment and neither would she yell at the nurse that she hated hospitals and that that smile she had on her face bothered her more than anything. She couldn't understand why [the nurse] was smiling so much—was she making fun of her or something? "So?"

The nurse sighed and gave a faint glance towards the door where Shikamaru had previously walked out of. That smile that was making Temari hysteric didn't leave for anything.

She frowned in annoyance.

Stop smiling!

"You see," She finally spoke, fixing her glasses as she cleared her throat. "in effect, what you least have is a disease." Temari tried defining her words without result; she also hated [beating around the bush].

"Then? [I can see it's nothing bad] as you haven't been able to stop smiling." Her aquamarine eyes looked around to demonstrate how irritated she was upon seeing [the nurse] smile every two seconds.

The nurse muted a laugh.

"Well, in these cases, I can't help it, I'm sorry."

In these cases?

What?

"Did you say: in these cases? Will you tell me once and for all what I have or—"

"Congratulations, Miss. You're pregnant."

Her world fell.

And now she found herself here with her phone in her hand remembering each word the nurse said as if it were the first time she was hearing it. Her voice and her smile remained in her mind.

The text messages didn't stop making the object in her hands vibrate. Salty tears fell from her eyes, her bottom lip fiercely trembling, her eyesight blurry. She had run away to escape and hadn't arrived at her house until night time.

And in that state, her phone flew towards a nearby wall and [shattered] to pieces. There, in the darkness of her room, Temari realized she was going to be a mother.