Hamburger Hippo Run

"We can't stay here for long, let's get moving." hurried Bushroot, probably feeling a little embarrassed after trying to kiss me earlier. "What makes you say that?" I asked. He stopped in his tracks and looked straight ahead.

  "Darkwing Duck, that's what!" He replied, zipping behind a nearby wall with me.  "Is it really Darkwing?" "I know that motorcycle anywhere," he replied, poking his head around the corner.

  There was indeed a faint motorcycle sound that was quickly approaching. I felt him slink his arm around my shoulders, holding me closely against him like a child clutching a treasured toy. I tilted my head up at the plant-duck, who was busy watching the road.

  "Launchpad, that's the last time I let you drive!"

"Sorry, D.W. I didn't see the Hamburger Hippo here,"

"Nevermind the Hamburger Hippo, L.P. Look!" The masked mallard pointed to a footprint and discarded leaf. "Judging from the position of this leaf, and the direction of this footprint, our duck went that way!" He declared. "Gosh, are you sure? He had that nice coffee lady with him too, she could be in danger." Replied Launchpad, picking up the lead for evidence. "Of course she's in danger, Launchpad. She's Bushroot's hostage!"

  I felt Bushroot's grip tighten around me, practically digging into my hips. Jeez! His leaf hands are more powerful than they look! I winced. I could feel him seething and he gritted his teeth. "Hostage..." He muttered. "I'll show you hostage..." He raised up one hand, and this huge thorny vine slithered up from the pavement toward the Masked Mallard and his partner.

"Look out, D.W.!" exclaimed Launchpad as the vine lunged. Darkwing leaped out of the way, drawing his gas gun. The vine reared up, constricting around them.

   I hadn't seen this side of him before. He didn't strike me as the kind of duck to strike fear into people, but here he was, controlling this monster vine ready to destroy his most hated enemy once and for all!

"No, don't!" I pleaded, gripping his arm. He looked down at me, the thrill of vengeance still in his eyes. "But-but, he was gonna take you away from me." He replied, a pathetic and pitiful frown forming on his face. "No one is taking me away from you, I'm your friend." I assured, gently rubbing his shoulders. "But please, call off your vine and let's make a run for it,"

  The vine dropped them and slithered away and out of sight. Darkwing picked his hat off the ground, dusting it off as he placed it back on his head. "Let's go, Launchpad..."

  "Man, I'm starving..." I groaned. We had been walking in a network of alley ways for what felt like hours and I hadn't eaten since yesterday. Bushroot turned and looked me over with a worried frown. "Really? Are you feeling faint? You need some water and sunlight?" He asked.

"Um, I'm not a plant, Reginald. I kinda need more to live off of than water and sunlight,"

"Oh! Right, sorry I forgot I didn't have to grow you," he chuckled. "Come on, there's a Hamburger Hippo this way." "Great!"

  "Aw, nuts! I left my wallet in my apartment," I grumbled. "Wait out here, milady," said Bushroot with a chivalrous bow. He then turned and went inside the establishment.

I leaned against the bike rack, watching the cars that came and gone. "Hey, you're the coffee lady Darkwing is looking for." Rang a child voice. I looked down at the lite red haired duck from the sewers. "Oh, hi there, kid." I greeted.

  "Keen gear! You are! The name's Gosalyn, Gosalyn Mallard!" She grinned, extending her hand. "But everyone calls me Gos," she added. "Nice to meet you, Gos." I shook her hand. "Name's Penelope Thurston, but everyone calls me Nellie."

  Gosalyn looked around, as if suspicious of something. "Say, ain't you Bushroot's hostage? What are you doing at Hamburger Hippo?" She questioned. "Uh, lunch?" I replied. 

  "Gosalyn, there you are!" Called a familiar voice. "What have I told you about running off, young lady?" Scolded her father, or at least who I assumed must have been her father considering the tone he was using. "Oh, hello there. I haven't seen you around before. You must be new. I'm Drake Mallard." He introduced. "I see you've already met Gosalyn."

  "Hi, Drake, Nellie." I replied, flashing a smile. He looked so familiar, but I couldn't place a finger on where I've seen him before. But I'll admit, he is kind of nice, even if he is a little hard headed. I waved goodbye as they left.

  "Nellie! I brought you a double cheeseburger and some fries!" Called Bushroot as he came out with a to-go bag. I flagged him down. "Here, Reginald!" I grinned. "Thanks a bunch for getting me some grub,"

  "Oh, i-it was nothing, just the least I could do," he stammered, sheepishly holding the bag up. "Ah, you're a real pal!" I beamed, taking the bag, and proceeding to eat.

  "What about you?" I asked in between bites of burger. "Oh don't worry about me, I'm a plant remember?" Reminded Bushroot. "I don't need to eat like a regular duck. I can do just fine off of sunlight and water and a little fertilizer,"