Chapter 1

His POV

Maybe I just don't have one.

No! I can't think like that.

Running deep in the woods, I tried to forget my misfortune, but it never truly worked. I haven't found her for years. I've been wandering this planet for centuries, and I couldn't find the one woman who is supposed to be my soul mate. Maybe I've committed too many sins, and this is punishment.

But even though most wolves would have lost hope by now, I couldn't. I had to find her. If I didn't, my life would be completely miserable. How could I live without everything I've ever wanted, everything I was supposed to live for? To me, the joy of a mate is worth the centuries of trying to find her.

*

Her POV

I clutched my mug, warmed by the London Fog drink which was inside, as I sat on the windowsill, staring at the rain droplets falling against the pane. I snuggled into my oversized sweater, letting my mind wander off. My gaze shifted to the woods as I took a sip of the drink.

What could be out there?

As a child, I heard numerous warnings about the woods.

Don't go in there! It's dangerous!

You could get lost!

The werewolf king might get you.

I shook my head at the last one. Clearly, it was just a way for them to scare, but as a child, I believed that such a creature could exist. However, now that I'm not as naive, I knew there were no supernatural creatures out there. Even so, people still warn me not to go out there.

I sighed as the rain slowly came to an end and decided I should go to bed. I glanced one last time at the darkness of the forest before heading downstairs to wash my mug.

One day, I'll find out what's out there.

*

7:13.

Not again. I lost count of how many times I've been late for school this year by now.

I ran straight to room 232 for my English class and slowly and quietly opened the door.

"Late again, miss Moreau?" My teacher asked.

"Excuse me, please," I replied with a apologetic smile before taking my seat.

She only sighed and shook her head before continuing her lecture. I wonder if I've been late to this class more times than on time. It doesn't matter honestly. I had enough credits to graduate, but I still am required to take a full schedule until the commencement ceremony. Do my parent even care about my attendance record from the abundance of phone calls they must get?

*

"Hey, Brian!" I greeted my best friend.

"Hey!" He waved back, giving me one of those gleaming smiles he was known for.

Brian was the type of guy every girl wanted. He was sweet, but funny, and he knew how to tease you just the right way. His golden hair, blue eyes, and deep tan gave him a surfer dude appearance, and on top of all that he was the star of the school soccer team.

Fortunately for me, I couldn't see him that way. Since we've been friends since elementary school, I've witnessed many things I cannot unsee. He picked his nose. He once ate a banana slug on a dare. And, don't even get me started on the things he said to me the day after health class.

"I heard you were late again," he teased.

"And I heard you ditched class to go make out with Jessica Danten," I teased back.

"Okay," he raised his arms. "We're both sinners."

I giggled as I stepped into his Jeep. Everyday, he would take me home after school and we would joke around about what happened throughout the day. It was nice having a best friend who could make you smile and laugh every single day.

Today, however, my mind was focused on something else. I stared out of the window at the passing blur of trees, my mind wandering again on what could be out there. Once we pulled up in my driveway, I asked the question that he always answers in the same way.

"Do you ever wonder what's in the woods?"

His eyes instantly became stoic, exactly like every other time I asked.

"Don't go out there. You know it's dangerous."

I sighed. "I know."

"You don't understand," he shook his head. "There are so many bad people out there. You could meet someone and your life could completely change, or worse, it could be over."

"I'm sure I'll be okay out there," I reassured.

"You never know. One encounter could change your life," he lowly said.

"Okay, I'll keep that in mind." I quickly hopped out of his car before he could start giving me a lecture about why I shouldn't go into the woods alone. "See you tomorrow, Brain!"

I waved as he pulled out of my driveway. There's one thing I knew from that conversation.

I'm going in tonight.

*

A/N: yes, I'm rewriting this book. Updates should be at least once a week. Sorry for any confusion, and I hope you like the story. Btw, it will still be pretty much the same, just more detail and some tweaks here and there.