A confessed Betrayal.

The door closed behind her and I practically died. I had promised her a world full of happiness and I had shown her dreams that could never be hers. I had promised to sweep her off her feet and be her prince charming, whereas really though I had pushed her in that hell-hole and broken her trust.

I felt ashamed of myself. So much that I could not even stand being in my own body. She was in there now. In with Carter in that room. My mind was thinking of infinite possibilities and they were all scary as hell... I had to get her out, I decided.

The thought about what was on stake crossed my mind. Carter had those papers. He had all the evidence he needed to prove me guilty of murder in court. I didn’t care. It was Riley, the girl who had easily agreed to bring my baby into this world and bear all that pain and humiliation for a mistake that I did, technically; and I was just letting her go to that asshole? No way.

I moved closer to the door. I heard her scream. It pained me. In all honesty, it was like a dagger cut through my heart, thinking about her reaction when she would know that I had sold her for a few papers that could save my life. I really was sick.

My hand moved to the door. I had to break in, I thought. I had to build up all the guts I had in me and I had to be selfless like her. Just then I heard a slap. It came hard and lashing and I instantly knew what it was: leather. In a split second I banged the door in an attempt to break in. ‘Kayden? Just leave dude. The deal, remember?’ I heard Carters voice. At the mention of my name, I heard Riley cry.

The papers was not more important than her life. My life was not more important than her life. I banged again with all my might and the door flung open. Riley was in the bed and a long red scar made its way through her arm. I started boiling in fury and rage.... ‘You told me you wouldn’t harm her, you swine?’ I yelled grabbing his collar.

Carter simply grinned. ‘Uh Uh Uh.... She is mine for the night, remember? I think Riley and I are doing just fine, we don’t exactly need you’ Carter said trying to break free of my grip. ‘Ri.... leave,’ I said looking at her. Her eyes were watery and she looked utterly confused. She stood up with great difficulty almost shaking. She was about to leave when she paused.

‘NO... I won’t leave,’ she said weakly. ‘Not until you guys actually give me some clarity in my life and actually tell me what’s up. I cannot handle this anymore,’ she said. Carter, who was waiting for this very moment opened his mouth. ‘Of course, allow me, beautiful. Your sweet darling step brother, or should I say, husband, traded you to me for a night. This was in fact the only reason he got married to you in the first place,’ said Carter and Riley’s expression didn’t change even the slightest bit.

‘And what makes you think I am going to believe that? Kayden is my husband and if he had done such an impossible thing, he would be here saving me right now. Kayden loves me and he is perfect compared to you. He got married to me because he wanted this baby inside of me, to seem legit. He got married to me so that he could give this baby his name. He got married to me because unlike you, he has the balls to admit that it was his mistake as well.’ Riley said standing up for me.

Now both Carter and Riley looked at me for an explanation. I was Riley’s culprit and I had to confess to her, I thought. Then I looked at her watery eyes, her pale face and the silent dilemma of her heart and her brain that only I could sense. She was praying that I was not guilty of what I was accused of. If only she knew.

I left Carter’s collar and went up to Riley. ‘Ri... I love you. I love you more than I have ever loved anyone, well maybe excluding my mom, but I do. And right now, I am here for you because your dignity and your modesty and your trust means everything to me.

I am here because I don’t mind dying but I can’t let anything harm you,’ I said my hand tracing her newly formed scar. Riley’s eyes watered again. ‘As for whatever Carter said, he isn’t exactly wrong’ I knew I deserved this. I knew what was coming next. Riley would slap me and walk away. She would go tell our parents everything and Carter would tell the whole world about my crime. I guess that was what she deserved.

She came in front of me and I braced myself for the love of my life to walk away. I closed my eyes and she hugged me.