A Chat

Star's mind reeled, her head spinning with what had happened a while ago. She thought her feelings for Marco had gone away. She was dating Tom, after all.

Apparently not.

"Marco kissed me," Star breathed, hand over her pounding heart.

No matter how many times she whispered those sacred words to herself, Star still couldn't believe it.

Currently, she was sitting on a bench in the castle's garden. Star was quite thankful that no one was here to witness her shocked state. The garden was silent, save for the occasional chirp of a bird and the relentless beating of her heart.

A twig snapped. Star's head shot up.

So much for being alone.

A familiar hoodie-wearing boy rounded the corner, his face flustered.

Oh no, Star thought, her eyes avoiding his gaze.

"Hey," Marco said awkwardly, a hand behind his neck. "Uh... can I talk to you for a bit?"

Star shrugged. "I guess,"

Marco sat to her right. Neither of them spoke for a bit, both occupied with their own thoughts.

"Star," Marco spoke up first, his voice cracking. "I just wanted to say I'm sorry for... you know."

"Oh! That thing? Psh! I already forgot about that!" Star waved a hand dissmissively, hoping it would cover up her poor attempt at lying.

"That happened yesterday." Marco deadpanned.

She huffed. "I guess I can't lie to you, huh?" Star looked at the boy only to quickly avert her gaze once more.

"Nope. We're best friends, after all."

Best friends.

Those words hung in the air, suffocating the two teens. Finally, Star spoke again.

"Look, I already have too much to deal with right now. I don't want another problem on my plate," she fiddled with a piece of hair. "Can we just pretend it never happened?"

"As your squire, it is my duty to uphold that order." Marco playfully bowed, earning a giggle from Star.

Ignoring the burning feeling in his chest, he laughed along with her. Besides, his heartache had already lasted for a while now. A little longer wouldn't hurt.

...Right?

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

A/N:  Guess who's back? Back again? Queenie's back! Tell your friends!

I always knew that one day I would write Starco fanfiction...

Thank you so much for reading! In case you didn't know, this fanfic takes place directly after Booth Buddies, so the events that happened after this episode haven't happened yet. This was just my interpretation on why Star and Marco seemed a little less awkward with each other in the season finale.

Again, thank you for picking this story amongst the vast ocean of Starco fanfictions. Keep shipping!