The nightmares

Ilias woke abruptly, her arm flying across the silk sheets she was spread out on. Her bright silver hair stuck to her fore head with sweat, and her breathing was heavy. The nightmares always plagued her, images of scared hands, dark rooms and shadows. As she climbed out of bed the screams from her dreams still rang in her ears. 

Her closet was filled to the brim, dresses in every colour of the rainbow falling out. Reaching to the back she pulled out her favourite tunic. It matched her eyes, the gold stitching scarce but noticeable against the darker blue. She pulled on worn leather boots and stalked out towards the training grounds. 

After hours she was still out in the biting cold, attacking the poor servant she had ordered to spar with her. She ignore the tired feeling creeping up on her as she slashed out with her sword. She paused, chest heaving. She listened intently, her fae ears picking up the near silent sound or someones footsteps on the pavement. She didn't turn, only shifting her sword in her hand and aiming for her opponents side. Before she could hit her mark the man ducked into a low bow, and she snarled slightly. 

"You ruined my attack." she growled over her shoulder. She didn't know who was behind her, and she didn't care. Be it her mother or father, it didn't matter. 

But she heard a bark of laughter come from behind her, and felt the rough hands of a male land on each exposed arm. Her father then. "Come inside Ilias, celebrate your birthday." She ripped her arms from his grasp and turned to face him. It was odd, the way he never aged. She glared, looking directly into his pine green eyes. "I was working on my form. My birthday can wait." Her tone was harsh, and she ended her sentence with a flash of her sharp teeth. He remained unfazed by it, "Your form is fine. Come inside for breakfast, It's your 19th birthday. you deserve a day for all of Terrasen to celebrate you." "I. Don't. Want. To. Celebrate. My. Birthday. King. Rowan." She growled. He looked down at her sadly, "Fine Ilias. But at least come inside. It's your mothers birthday too, she's worried about you." 

Without a word she dropped her sword on the ground and motioned for the servant to stand, something her father had forgotten to do, and led the way back to the castle. 

She entered the throne room to find her mother slumped in her chair. "fireheart." Aelin jumped, sitting up straight at her husbands voice. "Ilias," she started, her daughter caught her off. "Mother, happy birthday." It was cold, but came with bow. Ilias stood straight, shoulders tense, waiting for her opportunity to leave and lose herself  in her fighting once more.  She flinched as her mother stood up, her simple silver dress falling around her ankles. 

Ilias was soon met with her mothers blue eyes searching her hardened face for any sign of emotion. "Ilias, Whats wrong? Is it the nightmares again?" She nodded, looking down. Her mother embraced her, "happy birthday dear." "You too mom." 

They both had nightmares that plagued their days, they rarely talked about them. But her mothers silent understanding always made her feel better. She pulled away, and reached into her pocket. She held in her hand a small box wrapped delicately in sliver paper to match both her and her fathers hair. "For you mother." Aelin gently took the box from her daughters hands, "thank you." Inside was a simple, small marble. It looked identical to the night sky, all of its beauty captured in the small glass ball. She rolled it between her fingers as Ilias gave a bow in the direction of both her parents and walked out of the room.