'Mates'

Ilias stared at Azriel's back as he led her through the dark hallways. "My name is Ilias." It was the first thing she'd said since asking for his guidance. He remained silent as he led the way through the narrow halls, his large bat wings taking up a majority of the space.

She stopped dead in her tracks, tired of his ignoring her. She was told she was unrelentlessly like her father, sharing little unique traits with her mother. But now she demonstrated one Aelin was certainly known for, her need for attention.

But Azriel only ignored her, if she wasn't going to follow that wasn't his problem. But still she wasn't having it. Ilias placed a rough hand on one of the leathery wings. He inhaled sharply, And stopped. "Don't ignore me." She huffed. "Those are delicate, please let go."

Upon closer inspection she saw that they were crisscrossed with scars, and regretfully released them. He turned, and glared. But waited expectantly. Ilias sighed shakily. "Look, I don't know you. You don't know me And I'm in your space. You don't like that, you've made it clear."

She paused, wondering herself where this speech was going. She made her self tall a continued, voice wavering. " Look, we're mates. I'm not entirely sure what that means, but it's done a hell of a lot for my parents. I'm not asking you to love me, I'm asking you to talk to me. Whether we fall in love, or don't even get along, I'd like to know my mate before I go home."

Instead of responding he simply turned, moving to lead the way back. "Wait! You're just going to leave?!" She reached out a hand to grab a wing once more, but had just barely missed. Instead she ran her finger tips gently over the sensitive membrane, making the quiet Illyrian stumble. " Don't." His voice was raspy, and his hair fell in his eyes as he turned harshly.

"Then talk to me." She pleaded. He groaned, glaring. "A fact for a fact, a question for a question." It was silent for countless moments until Ilias looked up at him hopefully, "Deal?" He nodded. "I'll go first, how old are you?"

"537." Her mouth fell open, both surprised at his responding and the substantial number. He looked at her, waiting for her response.

Oh, I'm uhm, 19." He nodded, as if her being so young was expected. "See we wouldn't work, you're too young." "I already told you i'm not looking to fall in love. I just want to know who you are. Now ask a question."

"Why do you care?" She sighed, looking up with wide blue eyes. "Because being mates is rare, and special. I didn't come here looking for someone, In fact I didn't even mean to come here, but I found you. And I'll be damned if I let that slip through my fingers."

He nodded, and it was silent a long moment. "I think I love someone else. I have for a long time. But she doesn't love me, never has. But I have for centuries." He refused to meet her gaze, regretting the question that made him answer so truthfully.

Straying away from the deep questions Illias looked down. "What's your favourite colour?" Azriel looked towards the rings on his fingers, "blue." Even with the words lack of volume you could see he was thankful for the easy and unimportant question. "Me too. Though Reds pretty nice too."

He barked out a laugh, "don't let Cassian here you say that. It'll spark the debate all over again." The change in the mood was noticeable, causing Ilias to smile at his loosened shoulders. "Who's cassian?" He began to turn to look at her, "My brother." He was less easy going after he remembered who he was talking to.

Even as he reunited her with her family she thought of Cassain. She still didn't really know who he was, but he made Azriel happy. She thanked him for that.