Branches - Prolouge

Prologue

Dreams Fade to Reality

I rubbed my eyes; it was an eerie, silent of the early morning of the seventeenth day of July in nineteen-eighteen.  Too, quiet in fact.  The windows were covered with black tar, so no one could tell if it was night or day, but I knew, somehow that it was in the very early of the morning, perhaps around three or so.  Despite the circumstances my mom lied over in the far corner in her bed that I remembered from home, too modern to belong to the rest of my surroundings, am I dreaming? I wondered to myself as I rubbed my tired eyes again.

“Mom, Mama, wake up.” I said softly as I stepped lightly over to her bed with bare feet and shook her lightly trying to wake her up.

“Go back to sleep”. I hear her say with a groggy voice, as she just turned away from me, and put one of her pillows over to block out the sound of my voice.

I stepped away, looking around the tiny dark room.  Something was going to happen at any moment.  I just knew that today was going to change everything, and I knew I wasn’t going to be able to go back to sleep.  I began to feel my way around the room.  This room seemed oddly familiar, as if I knew every brick, every wall covering, every floor board there was in here and somehow I knew that besides the large closed wooden door, there was no way of escaping this room that had now become my prison.

I quickly looked over and gathered my shoes, I decided I would just see what was beyond the door, was someone out there? I wondered to myself as I lightly stepped closer and closer to the only way out of this room. I slowly pressed my finger down on the handle and pulled the door closer to me, as golden fire light filled the room.  I poke my head out, seeing no one, and quickly exited the room and closed the door.  My heart beginning to race as I tried to see what was down the dark hallway with only a little bit of candle light as I passed lanterns.  However as soon as I got to what looked like the entrance to a grand bathroom, I heard a familiar voice shout to me in his thick Russian.

“Stop! Where do you think you are going Your Highness?” I heard the red coated soldier ask as he ran towards me and pointed his dark metal gun at me. I couldn’t move, the sight of the gun and the fact that his finger could pull the trigger at any second silenced my entire body.

“I will only ask you one more time.  Where are you going?” He asked with intense eyes, as he pressed the barrel of the gun closer to my body, pressing against the cold stone column just outside of the bathroom.

“Please, sir, I must go the bathroom; I am not feeling so well.” I replied, giving him a small smile of plea.

“You have been told countless times, to not go anywhere without an escort, and until tonight you have obeyed….you are lucky that I was the one who found you.” The young soldier said as he lowered his gun and stepped closer to me, as his hand gently slid up to my cheek and he began to look deep within my eyes.  My heart began to race, I could feel the attraction bouncing between us, yet there was still the fact that he was could end my life with just the simple command of his commander, who was holding me and my family captive.

“You better hurry up.  I have to get you back.” He said with sad eyes as he looked behind him, then took up his gun to stand guard outside the bathroom.