9

Alex:
I glare at the camera that watches me in the corner of the room. The hard bench that will serve as my bed for the next week or so is so different to the cotton sheets and mattresses I have in my usual cell. I give the tattered old blanket I've been given a look of complete disgust but it's all I have so I pick it up with my thumb and finger and smell it. It reeks of dust and old ness and makes me feel sick. I throw it to the floor in anger and turn over on the bench. The damp sandwich and the cup of sour milk I've been given lie untouched on the floor by the door. I groan and sit up.
"I want to speak to a lawyer." I say to no one in particular. I'm so angry about how I've been blamed - Jesus Christ I didn't even know that happened to James. They didn't bother to check the security footage because Levi's a known staff favourite.
Just then the rusty metal door swings open and in walks a trainee guard. I've seen her around before and she's not really a talker. She just cares about getting the job done - my sort of guard.
"Can I talk to Mr Washington?" I ask her as she removes the tray and she raises her eyebrow at me.
"No."
I scowl but persist.
"Can I at least have a shower then?" I wheedle, already knowing the answer but I'm still shocked when I get it.
"No."
"Why not?" I ask and she rolls her eyes.
"You lost that privilege when you got put in here. Deal with it." She then stalks out and slams the door behind her, leaving me abandoned for the night.
"This isn't fair." I mutter moodily to myself.
James:
I glance in the mirror and stop short. My cheek has swollen up badly and I gasp. I don't remember it being this bad last night.
Thomas walks out of the bathroom and glares at my face. "Find a way to cover that up. And bring me something to eat." He walks to the living area and switches on the TV. Being well respected among guards and inmates gets you good rewards. He flips through the channels then selects some trashy reality TV and settles down on the couch.
"Hey, there's a nature documentary on later. Can you record it?" I call from the kitchen but the scowl on his face gives me the answer.
"Is it your TV Jemmy?" He asks me.
I look away. "No."
"Look at me when I talk to you, you son of a bitch."
I look at him. "No sir."
"Come here."
I walk over to him and he stands before backhanding me across the face making me fall to the floor.
"You do what I say, you stick to my rules and you don't get hurt." He tells me before turning back to his program. "Now go get me breakfast."

I make French toast and my hands shake as I hand it to him. He barely looks up and gives a mumble thanks. I make myself a bowl of oatmeal and sit down at the kitchen table. Some people wonder how one minute Jefferson can be the best boyfriend alive and the next, well... he's just not. He has some sort of split personality that means anything can set him off and make him violent. Especially me.
"Jemmy, get me a drink please."
"Yes sir." I get him a glass of orange juice which he accepts before dismissing me and I go get changed. I change into a grey sweatshirt and switch on my laptop and tap in the password. I look at my background fondly - an old picture of me and my parents. From before.. before the crash. I turn it off and flop onto the bed. I sigh and put my hand up to my ear - or what was my ear. I only dared take off the bandage last night and it caused me to faint.

I don't have to do my duties for another month because of the ear so I get to stay off with Thomas who always skives.
"Oh my god..." I suddenly hear from the lounge and I dash through. Thomas looks up at me. "You know Hamilton?" He asks me.
"The one you hate?" I ask back.
"No, the one I dislike. Hate's a strong word." He corrects me and I nod. "He's got a member of staff pregnant."
"What?" I gasp. Fuck.

(A/N: Sorry for the very late update and the short chapter. I've started a new story called 'Silently Destoyed' so go check that out and first comment will get a shoutout or whatever but please go read it. It's got a Lams, Phillip, Frances (John's daughter) and more! Hope you enjoyed this though! ❤️)