Something Old, Something New

Between the months of April to June there are few low-key, relaxing nights in professional hockey playing households.

If you were really lucky, you were still playing for a chance at the Stanley Cup.

And if you weren't so lucky you were packing up everything you own and going back home or to your native country to relax, recharge, and get your mind right for a chance to do it all again in four months.

Or maybe you're representing said home country at Worlds, if you were lucky enough to make it out of the grueling regular season uninjured and of course asked to join the team.

Either way you spin it by late Spring or early Summer hockey households are bustling most nights, and the home of the Pittsburgh Penguin's captain was no exception.

Sidney Crosby, for the first time in a few summers, was doing the best option of the three. Trying to stay focused on the task at hand, to bring the Stanley Cup back to Pittsburgh for the first time in seven years.

However, he was also trying to enjoy having the love of his life back in his arms for the first time in two years. It was a struggle sometimes to find the balance, everyone knew the Captain had a system. He liked order, he was uberly superstitious, but he would be damned if he let Mollie slip through the cracks again.

Mollie was never a distraction, not in his eyes. If anything she kept his mind right, she kept him calm, and Sidney knew that Mollie had been the missing link he had needed in seasons past.

She was everything to him even if the media thought differently.

Tonight the two sat curled up on the large sofa in the theatre room of his Sewickley, Pennsylvania mansion. Just the two of them, dim lighting, and some takeout on its way from a deli down the street.

There was no hockey on the TV, no talk of anything to do with the sport, just the two of them keeping things low profile as the Penguins were set to play in round three, the Conference finals of the Stanley Cup Playoffs next week.

The series against Washington had been a battle, a blood bath as usual and Sidney was tired, Mollie could tell. He wouldn't say anything but the playoffs were tough on his mind and body.

Going into Tampa Bay next week was going to be nothing short of a war either so this weekend was his one chance at recharging his batteries. Sidney could think of no better way to do so than lounging around with Mollie and forgetting the world for a day or two.

While his profession allowed for such, just forgetting hockey even existed, and shutting off his phone for hours at a time, Mollie's did not.

The medical field stopped for no one, and Sidney admired Mollie's commitment to taking care of other at all hours of the day and night even if it took her away from him sometimes.

As her phone rang from its perch on the arm of their shared theatre chair Mollie groaned but picked up the iPhone anyway. "Sorry, babe."

Sid let her up pulling his arm from around her shoulders as Mollie stood from the couch pressing the cellphone between her ear and shoulder, "This is Dr. Mollie Holden?"

Walking out of the theatre Mollie headed down the dimly lit hallway as information poured out of the pathology resident on the other end of the line. "He is my patient, but I'm not on call tonight."

"Oh sorry to bother you doctor, we have you on the schedule. Do you know who I should call?" The lab worker asked.

Mollie hummed, thinking as she walked towards Sidney's office, "I'll call the resident myself, if you would go ahead and give me the values, please."