Don't Be Late

2 WEEKS LATER

ring ring ring

I'm jolted awake by the sound of my phone ringing and buzzing on the night stand. I look over and Marina is peacefully asleep on the other side of the bed.

I grab my phone.

"Hello?" I answer groggily.

"Good evening Ma'am is this Ms Del Rey?" An official sounding voice asks.

I take the phone off of my ear annoyingly and check the time. 3:16 am.

"Yes who is this?"

"This is Officer Hudson with the NYPD"

"Is there anything I can help you with Officer?"

"Well I just thought that I'd inform you on your boyfriend Christopher-"

"He's not my boyfriend Officer, maybe you can check again and become aware of his actions."

"I apologize and I'm aware Ms Del Rey. I just wanted to inform you that he is being held here awaiting transport to Rikers Island, one of our main facilities until his trial date. Which is in about a month."

Well shit. I knew Chris was in trouble with the law but everything he is saying makes it real. I would never have imagined Chris paying for he has done to me all these years.

"Do you know what's gonna happen to him at the trial?"

"Well, judging from the information you gave us from our meeting last week" I could hear the officer flip through papers. "It could be a couple years.....But you know the justice system is fucked up so there's no telling"

I hear Marina shift positions and look over. She faces me and cuddles up to her pillow, her eyes still peacefully closed.

"He deserves life" I whisper

"I think so too" he agrees.

"Thank you Officer Hudson. Please keep me updated."

"Will do, take it easy"

"You too"

I hang up the phone and roll over, trying to push all thoughts of Chris out of my mind. Marina surprisingly slept through that whole phone conversation. I wish that I could just hold her right now but I don't wanna ruin anything we have.

Ever since the day Chris got arrested I feel like that boundary between us was broken and now we are just in open water. I could tell her my true feelings but I don't want to drown. I don't want to ruin what we have. Marina seems to look at me sometimes as if she's screaming the same thing internally but it seems like she would catch herself and return to normal. She is showing me what love really is but I dont want this to be friend love or sibling love. I want to show her that I truly do love her.

I move pieces of her hair away from her face with my finger tips. Why can't I just muster up the courage to tell her?

I close my eyes and attempt to actually get the sleep I've been loosing all these nights.

~~~~~

"Maaaaarrriiinnaaaaaaaaa" I sing into her face.

"Huuh" she answers groggily, then covers her face with the blanket.

"Marina! It's 3 in the afternoon!!!" I exclaim pulling the covers off of her

"And?" She questions sassily.

"We have things to do!" I laugh

She sits up knowing that her battle is lost.

"What kind of things" her accent seeming to intensify on the word.

"Well I'm gonna take you to dinner!"

I came up with the plan this morning. I'll take her to dinner and make it all romantic. She'll have to get the idea. She's always talking about love and showing me what it is but I'll show her that it's her who I want.

"Dinner?" Marina questions.

"Yes! It'll be like a thank you."

"Thank me for what?" She asks confused.

"Everything! Now go get ready, the reservation is at 4:30 and I don't want us to be late."

*MARINAS POV*

I slide on my blue dress and check the time. 4:15. Shit Lana's probably pissed that I've taken so long. I rush out of the bathroom only to be greeted by an empty room. What? Did she leave? I scan the room again but notice a white square taped to the door. I rush over and read:

Meet me at the restaurant. Don't be late!

I knew what restaurant she was talking about cause there was only one remotely fancy restaurant in this town.

I rush downstairs and practically run down the street until I arrive at the restaurant with only two minutes to spare.

I push the door open with such force almost everyone in there look over to see what was the commotion. I spot her in the back corner which is aluminated by candles.

Lana looks so beautiful in the glow of the small flames. Even though you can still make out bruises that cover face, bare chest, and shoulders, she looks angelic. She waves me over with that same smile that i love so much.

I smooth out my dress, inhaling to try to keep cool. I weave through the chair and tables, time seemingly to slow down as I get closer and closer to her.

Fianlly I get to the table and take my seat, annoyed at all the people here who are seemingly staring.

i inspect the table. Two tall candles and a small vase holding two roses accompany us.

"Lana what is all of this?" I smile and motion towards it all.

She giggles and looks down in embarrassment. "I wanted to treat you." Her cheeks turn a light pink against the purple.

She keeps folding and unfolding a napkin in nervousness. I don't understand what she has to be nervous abou,t she's the one that planned it all.

"You didn't have too." I reach across the table and grab her hand to settle her down.

Lana looks down at our intertwined fingers. "I wanted to Marina, you've been so good to me." I didn't know it was possible for someone to blush so much.

"But why all of this? The candle, the flowers, the fancy table cloth..."

She laughs. "I wanted it to be special.... Now why don't we order?" She hands me a menu.