CH 1 The Burden of all that try to be strong

"Mom...dad." I called in my squeaky 4-year-old voice. Smoke was everywhere bodies and the things children shouldn't see lying on the ground. I'm covered in cuts and bruises from falling debris and glass. My breathing is shallow and quick from all the smoke and crying. I trip and fall hard on the ground adding even more bruising to my side. Unable and unwilling to get up I just lay there crying from all the pain and helplessness of the situation, a second later I hear a growl in front of me.

Barely lifting my head, I look with blurry eyes towards a giant Beowulf black as death and malicious as a starving dog. It sees me and lowers itself to the ground like it was stalking a deer. Closer it stalked slowly reviling in my fear, and sadness. It lowered itself further almost touching the ground, and fast like the wind it pounced at me. Everything slowed down like the world was swimming in syrup. Slowly the Beowulf flew towards me. Its jaws opened wide like it intended to swallow me whole. Just before it ended my short-lived life, a glint of silver beheaded the monster splashing me with black blood. Slowly I overcame my fear and, looked to see my mom in front of me battered and bloody. She didn't speak just grabbed me and started running as fast as she could. "Mom where's dad?" I said, but she didn't answer just kept running.

Eventually mom stopped running and fell with us separating when we hit the ground.

"Victor...get up...run and don't stop." Said my mom. There was a growl to our right along with the appearance of Glowing red eyes from the darkness on all sides. "Victor RUN." "MoMMMMM!"

I sit bolt upright in my bed within my hotel room. "It was just a dream. It was just a dream" I assured myself. But it wasn't a dream nor even a nightmare. It was my memory of when my village was attacked. That happened thirteen years ago, when I was recovered by a close friend of my parents I was found wandering aimlessly in the Emerald Forest Starving, dying of thirst, and with very little sleep. Even after I was taken in by my parent's friend I never got much sleep. I woke up every night screaming because of nightmares from the attack. Eventually however they thankfully became less and less frequent as time went on but even then I still get them from time to time. I get up and out of bed before I prepare for the new day.

I loathe what the day will bring, because today I will be starting my four years at Beacon Academy. I'm still can't believe at how I got accepted. Yesterday on my last patrol of the roof tops, a habit I started not to long after I arrived in Vale I saw the strangest thing. I saw a thug in a black suit with a red tie and a goatee fly out the window of the dust shop From Dust till Dawn. Along with a short girl with a clothing colors consisting of black and red. I heard blasting out from head phones that she was carrying the song This Will be the Day. The little girl of which I dub as Red until I learn her name stood and faced the shop whilst unfolding a massive red and black scythe. Looking into the now very open store window I see four more thugs and one Roman Torchwick. With a word Torchwick's thugs came out and surrounded Red. I prepared to step in and give Red a hand only to witness how unneeded it was.

The thugs opened fire on Red only to hear a very loud gunshot and find her not in-between them, and instead farther down the street. With another shot Red appeared next to the thug to the left of the store and crushed him with the blunt part of the scythes head.

At the downing of their comrade the other thugs rush Red with red bladed swords. Red planted the scythes deadly sharp point into the ground and used it to twirl and smash both feet into one of her attackers faces. Landing Red twirled her scythe and used its immense weight and bulk to send another thug flying, and finally swung her giant gardening tool turned weapon at the last thugs face flinging him towards the store and landing at Torchwick's feet.