7|Orange Soda

A month had passed and the rumors about the boys had dwindled down to mere whispers and casual glances in the hallways, along with the chaotic situation between Miles and Peters that had stirred the gossip mill within the school walls. Peter was kicked off the team, and the position of captain was granted to Miles who declined, saying that he only wanted to be a part of a team who accepted him for who he was, not for the rank. The offer then shifted to Caden who took it wholeheartedly, but not without making it clear that Miles was a part of the team, and if anyone had an issue, they could kindly take their leave. But everyone accepted Miles with open arms.

Unfortunately, Preston didn't make it onto student council, but he was fine with that once he realized that he didn't want to be a part of this school's clubs. I couldn't blame him.

André did assume the position of lead guitar in the school band. There was a winter performance coming up in some months, so André spent his after school evenings practicing with the band. No one had heard him play or sing except his friends, and I knew Skylar was more exited than anyone as she kept babbling about how she was going to sit in the front row with a banner of his name written—I had zoned out a bit after that part.

Eli decided against joining the football team, claiming it wasn't his style anymore, and I didn't hold that against him. A part of me was upset that I didn't get to see him in uniform tackling other players, but I got over it.

So far, everything was as normal as it could possibly be at Marionne High.

Skylar was sprawled in her stomach across my bed flipping through a fashion boutique magazine when she twisted her body around. "André asked me out."

My fingers froze over the keyboard, barely finished typing the rest of my history essay. "So you guys are...?"

She shrugged. "Depends on if the date goes well.

"Why wouldn't it? You guys already act like you're a couple."

The past month, André and Skylar had been glued to the hip like Sienese twins. They finished each other's sentences, swapped foods that they didn't like with one another, and even bickered like an old couple. It was nauseating, but I couldn't be more happy to see Skylar being treated like the queen she was.

Pink tinted Skylar's cheeks. "We do not," she countered. "Besides, you're one to talk." When I raised a questioning eyebrow, she added, "Miles? Come on, everyone can see the chemistry blooming between you guys."

I rolled my eyes. "You're searching for something that doesn't exist. Miles and I's relationship is strictly platonic, just like with the rest of the guys. He's like another brother to me."

Skylar huffed and sat up, tucking her legs underneath her. "When are you going to let go of this hard exterior of yours and let someone in?"

Pointedly, I said, "The last time I let someone in, my heart was ripped out of my chest."

"I get that, I really do," she leaned over and grabbed my wrists gently, making me look into her eyes, "but if you let your past dictate your future, you will never know what it's like to live again. To love again."

As I opened my mouth to argue that love was only a theory planted by weak romantics who stuffed their heads in romance novels and blinded themselves by sitting too close to the tv when The Notebook came on, the door creaked open and Kenny poked his head in.

"Everyone's downstairs chilling. You guys coming down?"

"I have to finish this essay," I said.

"There's pizza," he added. I shoved my laptop to the side and stood up, heading to the door.