13

"Hey Sophie," my chemistry teacher greets me in the hallway. "we missed you yesterday, are you feeling well?"

"I wasn't here?" I questioned.

"No. Did you get sick?"

"Uh, I guess so."

"Hmm... well you look a little pale. Maybe you should take today off."

"I'm good, thanks though." I smiled, continuing to photography class.

As I entered, my eyes met with Jefferson's. He smiled to me, and I awkwardly smiled back, getting this weird sick feeling as we looked to one another. I made way to the back table, sitting next to Max.

I sighed as I pulled out my notebook. "What's today?" I asked.

"Wednesday, the 12th." Max replied.

"Thank you." I say as I write the date down in my notebook, getting an off feeling as I looked to the last page which read Monday 10th. 'How did I miss an entire day and not remember?' I questioned in my head.
Still, I continued with the note taking, but as I wrote, a sudden memory came to mind. I felt a smile form on my face as I remembered the kiss Nathan and I shared outside of the school. I took my fingers to my lips, biting on my nail as I tried hiding my grin.

Class eventually ended and I was back in the hallway. I took one glance at my advanced algebra class and scoffed at my decision, walking passed and out the front doors of the school, deciding to skip.

A gust of wind hit me once I reached the stairs outside, and I glanced up to the fluffy clouds forming above. I looked towards the walkway that lead to the dormitories and headed down the path to the boys dorms, making way up the stairs to Nathan's room. I gave a quick set of three knocks, but got no answer. I curled my lip, pulling out my phone and texting him while I walked out the building, still no reply. But as I walked, my attention on my phone, I suddenly heard a ringtone coming from someone besides me and before I had the chance to look up, I slammed into the person. I looked up to see Nathan, looking at me with a blank face, but his lips pursed open as if he wanted to say something.

"Hey, I've been looking for you!" I said cheerfully, walking to him and wrapping my fingers around his jacket, trying to pull him down to me but he backed away. "What's wrong?" I asked with furrowed brows.

"I dunno. I have to go." He replies, but I don't let him get away. I grab his wrist and pull him back, looking at him this time with worry.

"Seriously, what's wrong?"

Nathan sighed, looking out to the distance. "I'm being expelled."

"What?! For why?"

"That little bitch Max—" he stopped himself, taking another deep breath and looking down to his feet. "Don't fucking worry about it."

"What's with the attitude?"

"I said don't fucking worry about it!" He shouted, snatching  away from my grasp and stomping to the dorms. I took a bite of my lip, watching as he walked away, then turning back to the courtyard and finding an empty bench where I then sat and pondered in my thoughts until the next class bell.

-

As the day came to an end, while I was leaving my last class, I was suddenly approached by Mr. Jefferson. There's that sick feeling again...
He walked me out of the school, holding the door open for me. "Y'know, Sophie, you're an exceptional student. You really should let me photograph you sometime."

"Thanks, but I'm pretty camera shy actually." I said awkwardly as we walked through the courtyard.

"Nah, I don't believe that! You're too beautiful. Anyways, I wanted to talk to ask how you were feeling. You didn't show up yesterday."

"Yeah, so I hear. It's weird but I don't even remember yesterday."

"Mhm..."

"Anyways, a lot of weird things have been happening so I'm not paying too much attention to it. It just bothers me a little."

"I see! Well, I hope I'll see you tomorrow. And I can't wait to see your entry for the Every Day Heroes contest." He stopped and patted my back. Some part of me wanted to jerk away as he reached out to me, but I fought the feeling and just stood still, then watching as he walked to the parking lot. I sighed, turning back to the path and following it to the dorms, but I was suddenly stopped by Nathan who looked distressed.

"Sophie—"

"Nathan, hey, what the hell?!"

"Look," he grabbed tightly ahold of my bicep and looked into my eyes. "can you do me a favor? Don't talk to Jefferson anymore."

"What the fu— can you tell me what's going on? Quit being so sus!"

"JUST FUCKING LISTEN TO ME FOR ONCE!" He shouted. I flinched, glueing my mouth shut as he continued. "There's a lot about these people that you don't know. I'd just feel better if you didn't talk to any of the teachers, Okay?"

I looked at him curiously for a moment, but obediently nodded my head. Nathan smiled, but as he pulled his hands away from my shoulders, a shocked look took over his face as he stared at my collar bone. I tried looking but couldn't see. "What? Do I have something on me?"

"Sophie..."

"What?!"

"Let's go back to your dorm."

"Okay..."

Nathan walked close to me, his arm occasionally brushing against mine as we walked into the girls dorms, to my room. He shut the door as I sat on the edge of my bed. As he paced back and forth, I pulled out the small case of powder foundation and flipped it open to see the mirror then used it to look at my collar bone. To my surprise, I noticed a large bruise.

"Oh, what the fuck?!" I said out loud.

Nathan turned to me. "Can you stand up?"

"Why—"

"Just fucking stand up."
I stood.
"Take your shirt off."

I smirked. "Aha, that's funny Nathan." I turned to my bed and was about to sit back down, but he grabbed my wrist which I suddenly felt pain in, and looked to him as he gave me a serious look.

"Just trust me."

I curled my lip, hesitantly reaching to the bottom of my sweater and pulling it up, revealing I wore nothing underneath except a dirty sports bra. He reached his hand out and I followed with my eyes, where I finally noticed another large bruise on the side of my ribs, and hand shaped bruises on my forearm.

"What the fuck?!" I shouted, rubbing my hands on my body to check if there were any more. "How did I not notice this??" I quickly took my pants off and found more bruises on my ankles and knees. "Nathan, what the fuck? Did you do this?"

"No..." he said honestly, looking at me with those puppy eyes. He stared at my body for a moment, then wrapped his arms around my torso, pulling me in and hugging me for a long moment. I didn't fight back or bother to question him any further. I wrapped my arms around him as well, which completed the tight hug. I laid my head against his chest and listened to his rapid heartbeat. I squeezed my eyes shut.

"What's going on?" I asked with a shaky voice. I heard him swallow.

"Nothing." He replied, pulling away some and leaning down, kissing me. I was hesitant to let him at first, when he slowly began to slide his hand on my chest, but I didn't fight it and went along, letting him finish undressing what little clothes I had left on me(underwear), doing the same to him and we both laid on the small bed against the wall. It was awkward for us both, giggling like children when the bed wouldn't stop creaking or when we accidentally bumped our heads together. But it was cute, and a moment I'd never forget—a moment neither of us could forget. And by morning, I found him still next to me, his arms bringing me a comfort and warmth i've long desired.