chapter 2- edited

Marcus p.o.v.

I fought my wolf back from jumping forward; his body was my wolf form, so he couldn't just come out when he wanted; it was provoked by solid anger. I hadn't lost control like that in months; I thought my rage was dying down. Harry tested the tenderness of her neck; a bruise was already forming across her neck from my hand. Kyle looked over at me. His blue-green eyes met mine. 'Alpha, the girl...is your mate?' he mind-linked me for confirmation; only nodding over, I knew he got the response. 'I'll check on things with the pack so we don't overwhelm her,' he linked, then exited.

"alpha," Harry interrupted my thoughts

"How is she?" I asked, not needing to wait any longer

"she is just fine but will have a bruise on her neck until it heals," Harry continued. "Use ice to help it clear up faster; if you need anything else, don't hesitate to reach out. May I assist you with anything further?" he asked, looking my mate over again. holding in a growl of jealousy. I knew he was ensuring she was okay, but I didn't like anyone looking at my mate.

"thank you, and stay here for a little longer," I said, trying to help her be more comfortable. He nodded helping her to her feet.

'I don't think you're the person she wants to talk to,' Sam snapped

'She's my mate; it was an accident,' I shot back. He didn't respond, as I'm sure he was trying not to take over in order not to scare her

Unfortunately, he might be right. 'Beth, will you come here...I found her.' I mind-linked my sister not even ten seconds before she busted in.

"she's your mate?" she questioned, her curly red hair bouncing against her face in a frenzy. "Looks like I have a friend to make," she stated, almost to herself in a mumble. My mate moved to the side, seemingly trying to try and get away, but knocked herself back over, trying to get up with the help of the wall beside her. "What. Is. On. Her. Neck. Marcus?!" Beth bent down to try and see closer.

alex p.o.v.

My throat swelled up from the pressure, my mind was racing, and I didn't know what to do, because of  the alpha in the room.

The man, who I assumed had been a medical professional, considered his knowledge and the person the alpha called. The doctor was an older gentleman. He had light brown hair, streaks of gray highlighting it, brown eyes, a slender face framed with oval glasses, and a regular-looking blue shirt paired with some jeans. I stood holding myself against the wall for support; the doctor followed, standing still and examining my neck

Suddenly, a door slammed, and the orange-haired female who tackled me ran in. "She's your mate?"

The world seemed to stop for a moment. My knowledge of mates is limited; I heard about them but was never explained the full version, only that they were from the moon goddess and something about fate. It worried me, but I was more focused on the pain and throbbing in my throat. I looked up since no one was talking; the air seemed thick with silence. The alpha was fiddling with his thumbs, and the female had her hand on her hip, staring bullets into him. I'd never seen someone go against an alpha and be met without punishment.

"Beth, we will talk about this later; right now, I wanna make sure the girl is okay," the alpha spoke.

...

So, the orange-haired girl's name is Beth.

"Brother, what happened," she said the word brother as if it was for me to understand

She was his sister. That made way more sense than a random pack member going at its alpha.

"I choked her," he whispered, "I thought she was a rogue just looking for trouble."