Chapter One - Justice

He enters my life unexpectedly one evening, like a storm destined to destroy everything in its path.

I have been tracking two jewellery thieves for a number of evenings now. A lot of time and effort has gone into following what feels like London's dullest criminal duo: Dave and Dan. They argue constantly over the percentage of their nightly hauls they are each due, and have about three brain cells between them. Dave and Dan might be the bottom of a very complex criminal food chain but I am forced to give them my full attention because I suspect they may eventually lead me to the mastermind behind a wider operation, and the one responsible for London's recent spike in organised crime.

I amuse myself watching Dave and Dan fight over their stolen goods in the back alley outside Beckwork & Co, a family owned jewellers in Blackfrairs since the 1800s. A policeman may have arrested them on the spot for being caught red-handed but this is where my role as a vigilante is useful, I am not an officer of the law and can therefore do as I please. Which in this case is to spy on them from the fire escape of the building next door, waiting for the criminals to drop the name I have been hearing whispered a lot recently among London's underworld.

Castlemain.

His name came out of nowhere December last year, initially I thought it was code for something but it soon became apparent Castlemain was a person who had immediately replaced Tommy Sands, top dog in the marjuana business.

After that, Castlemain bought out, or over, the Peckworth brothers (specialising in robberies and laundering), closely followed by the notorious Johnny Jameson, who ran most of the cocaine and harder drugs operations. In short, up until four months ago no one heard of Castlemain and now he seems to be organising half of London's underworld to work for him. This is a big concern for someone like me who has dedicated the better part of four years to fighting crime in London and making it a safer place to live. Currently I am compiling a file of solid evidence against the guy before I make a move. I have never taken down a crime boss before and I am certain it has to be done right, to avoid unnecessary loss of life. Aka, mine.

'My cut should be seventy cos I got us in and out undetected,' Dave grumbles, snatching at the bag so hard it splits. Necklaces, rings, and bracelets go tumbling down towards the ground between them like they are auditioning for a slap-stick comedy show.

Dan lets out a string of expletives as they both drop to their knees, lunging for the goods. They are more comedy act than criminal act at this point.

It is clear to me the two thieves are not going to be help in my wider investigation so I decide to have some fun instead. I drop down silently from the fire escape making them both jump in surprise. Immediately men both freeze mid-way through snatching up their stolen items, guilt on their faces at being caught, until recognition dawns and they relax.

'Lady Justice,' sneers Dave. 'I was wondering when you were going to show up.'

'It's Justice,' I say through gritted teeth. This is not the first time some clueless idiot has managed to get my name wrong.

'Not anymore.' Dan raises up from his crouched position and pulls out a gun I didn't know he was carrying. First rule of hero class: check your opponents are unarmed.

'Castlemain says we shou'n't be scared of superheroes like you no more,' Dave adds, swiping another couple of necklaces and stuffing them into his jacket pocket. He walks to Dan's side looking triumphant despite the fact he just revealed a key piece of information by mentioning Castlemain's name to me. Now I know who armed these two idiots and warned them about me. At last finally I might be able to get some answers.