Chapter 12: The Infobahn

CHAPTER 12: THE INFOBAHN             

“Oh. My. Goodness. Look at her Fraud-a shoes. I’d be humiliated to walk around like that.”

I couldn’t help but notice I was being slightly loud in my whisper to Audrey, so I flashed the girl that was walking down the hallway a short smile. The last week of my life had been a seeming circle of learning and working, which is why this “life” was getting beyond boring. Even my notebooks lacked the trendy doodles I’d scribble during Yawn-ematics.

I’d actually started to... work harder in school. Which was something tough to understand for me.

“Hey, Mia, earth to Mia. Rick’s here,” Stella nudged, prodding my shoulder with a finger.

I blinked a couple of times until I saw Rick towering right next to me. His hair caught the sunlight that was seeping through the window-covered walls. Leaning oh-so-cliché on the locker next to mine, he gave me a little smirk and after I pulled out my Wuthering Heights copy, he closed the door of my locker.

“Hey gorgeous. What’s been going on lately? I heard you were gone and caught by the police last week. Would it hurt to ask with who?” he said, fixing his gaze accusingly to me.

“You’ve asked me this already, and I’ll clear things up again. I was out taking a late night walk, lost my way, panicked, and police brought me home safely. Where were you last week that you only got the chance to see me yesterday?” I questioned.

He hesitated for a moment before looking back at me, trying to completely avoid the question. He shuffled around a bit before cracking a grin and changing the subject. It was nerve-wracking; I just wanted him to admit where he’d been, because it wasn’t like I didn’t know.

“Hey, Mia, listen. Andrew Kertz is hosting a party right after school. Yeah, yeah, I know he’s just a little bit of a nerd, but that guy almost signed onto the football team last year. He’s getting super-cool now. Everybody didn’t even need convincing to come... How about you and me go together? I won’t do anything bad. Just a night to relax, forget that summer ended. It’ll be fun, what do you say?”

I tried my best to look uninterested. After all, I definitely wasn’t due to of last week’s events. What if there was booze? What would happen then? I knew I’d try to stay strong, but somehow an accident would happen and I couldn’t trust being with Rick alone. I ruffled a few of the pages of my book and then bit my lip, giving Rick a shake of my head.

“Sorry, Rick, I can’t go, I’m... busy tonight. Maybe another time, not now though-”

Oh, my, goodness MiMi! Did you hear?” a screechy voice screamed.

“Ow! Maybe I would’ve if you hadn’t screamed so much. What happened, Stella?” I said, turning my back to Rick, who looked like he’d lost the Grand Prize. I suppressed a devilish smirk before jumping up and down in excitement with the two girls.

“There is going to be a party tonight! Kertz is hosting it! Everybody’s going. Can you come? Oh, you better, girl. I’m going to dress you up in the cutest Chanel cutout heels!” Audrey explained, grabbing my shoulders and shaking me hard.

I placed my hands on her arms and stopped her with a stern look. “I’m really sorry, Audrey, but I’m a bit busy tonight... Family stuff. Yeah. I can’t come. Maybe next time?” I begged.

She gave me a suspicious glance but continued talking to Stella in hushed whispers. I turned around, ready to go to English, my last period. I took a step before bumping into someone.

“So I guess you really can’t come?” a low voice whispered above my head. I looked up and pushed Rick with all my might, which ended up slamming him to the side of the lockers, and he grimaced.