Chapter One

"Hallie Beaufort!"

"Here!"

School. I don't hate it, just the people in it. I don't have any friends and I'm not new either. This has been my school ever since Reception. This school is a joint primary school and secondary school. I'm in Year 11. It's almost as if I don't exist I swear. Everyone has this thing against me but it's not like I don't know why. Rumours have gone around about my parents being murderers or child eaters, werewolves, vampires and well basically everything abnormal ever known to fiction. I guess this stands for me to. None of the rumours are true until it comes to me. I'm an immortal. I've always been. My parents aren't even mine. When I was one I was found in a basket abandoned in a forest, no note or anything. I remember that day. I remember my parents. I could hear their voices when I was still in my mothers stomach and I remembered. A parallel universe is where they are well they were. It was overrun. Our enemies, these weird creatures they were a kind of sickly green colour and their teeth a dull yellow as sharp as razor blades. Their eyes were the size of tea coasters and pitch black. If you looked into them you could see nothing but pure darkness. They were scarecrows used to scare us away, some of us fought others fled. After I left I had no idea what happened. I was dropped down this portal made especially by witches just for me.

This was the first time I had been called on the register in my entire school life. We had a supply. Everyone turned to stare at me.

"Who's she?"

"Omg she's the girl in that freak family."

"Don't look she'll curse you."

I actually meant it. This was the first time. The teachers feared to read my name out so just left me out on the register, it was obvious this teacher had no idea who I was. No one really did but these people were gullible to rumours.

"Sir don't say her name you'll be cursed she lives in a freak family and their like freaks." Electra blurted out at the front of the class.

"Have you ever spoke to her?" The teacher replied.

"No she'll murder me." She replied.

"Well I just spoke to her and I'm not dead." The teacher said back.

"You're going to die overnight just watch sir she's a freak."

"Wow Electra I love your sense of humour and where is the evidence of this?"

"I don't know it's just rumour."

"And you believe everything you hear Electra?"

"No sir but everyone says."

"Everyone believes that this girl sitting over there is a freak and you've never even bothered to talk to her neither do you have any evidence of her being a freak."

The room fell silent. It was true. I didn't look any different from them. My hair was down and I was wearing school uniform just like them. No physical twists. My hair was hazelnut brown and curly. My eyes were a beautiful shade of brown which looks better than it sounds honestly. I have a few freckles, rosy cheeks, perfectly sculpted lips and a fairly toned body. Immortals were made to look perfect, they were beautiful and head turners. Even the men, we were the same as humans just with the ability to do a lot more.

I was at the back of the room. No one sat by me. I was on my own table of two. Everyone was still staring at me. It was creeping me out but I just sat there looking at the front of the room.

"Hallie why don't you talk to the class explain more about yourself?" Sir said.

I got up out of my seat. Everyone gasped their eyes following me. I didn't mind. Nerves didn't apply to immortals.

"Hey everyone. My name is Hallie Beaufort but I guess you all know that. I've been going to this school since I was four years old. I was adopted and my surname is my own not my adoptive parents which for me is allowed for some reason, theirs is Barrett. I live locally in a mansion which is creepy at times but I guess I'm used to it all by now. I'm 15 and my birthday is next month, March to be precise the 2nd. I have no friends because no one has ever spoke to me, only my parents speak to me which is pretty bad considering I've always gone to school. I'm sorry about the rumours but none of them are true I'm a normal teenage girl who is a human being with no abnormal abilities and is fairly smart. Any questions raise your hands." I announced.

Everyone's hand shot up and I'm not being sarcastic.

"Ok starting with the front. Ask away," I said rolling my eyes.

"Have you ever killed someone?"

"No I never have and I don't really want to or need to."

"Have you ever had a boyfriend?"

"No considering I've had no friends how would I ever have a boyfriend?"

"Do you have Facebook?"

"Um, yeah I do but I don't use it much since I have no friends I just use it to check up on celebrities."

"Is everything on you real?"

"Yes it's all my own."

"Do you smoke?"

"No, and never."

"What's your favourite hobbies?"

"I have so many I could almost go on forever."

"Have you met any non-human things?"

"Yes animals next."

"Are vampires and werewolves real?"

"Honestly I don't know but logic says no they are fictional."

"Do you want to be my friend?"

"Of course why not."

"Are you an emo?"

"I'm emotionally stable not unstable so no."

The questions kept flowing, I ended up becoming the most popular girl in class in the matter of an hour. People were noticing me for once but I couldn't tell if it was a good or bad thing. It was kind of fun being discreet. I said I was immortal of course it comes with it's advantages but I have to keep our kind secret. I'm not in contact with anyone in my parallel world I'm not even sure they know that I know what I am I don't even know what my full purpose is here.

The bell went, I stepped out of class but this time it was different. I didn't just pass people unnoticed I was the centre of attention. Walking down the corridor acknowledging my surroundings I turned around to face a crowd of stalkers.