Chapter 9

"Isn't that how it always is at the end of the day? Everyone just wants to feel special. Even in their sorrow."

Lauren couldn't believe her ears. She couldn't believe that what she had just heard was true. Maybe it was all a dream, she thought, refraining from pinching herself because something inside of her already hurt. Something inside her was breaking and she knew that everything that had transpired for the past few minutes was real. This was her reality. And Lauren couldn't help but think that perhaps she had been a fool all along. She had refused to see more under the surface because she had always given her sister the benefit of a doubt.

The sister she had always put first, the sister she had adored and admired, the one she had always wished happiness upon despite her own...that same sister had finally revealed herself as a fraud. Lauren had believed in her. She had believed her when Mikaela said that Camila was the one. She had believed her when Mikaela said she was falling hard. She had believed her and now she found out that her sister was going to break the heart of the girl Lauren was in love with. The girl she would have treated way better. The girl she would have loved more.

She wanted to march forward, asking for some explanation. She wanted to understand because surely...no, she shook her head. There was no way that she would let Mikaela justify her action. Lauren took a step back, ready to leave but her movement was shaky. She accidentally stumbled against her own foot, and of course, she just happened to set foot on the particular creaky floorboard. That gave her away immediately as she heard some rustling from the other side of the door and some rushed movement growing louder to where she was standing.

"Lauren..."

She was beginning to hate her own name because lately people had been saying it in array of negative emotions. Ms. Hernandez said it with an ounce of pity and concern, Lucy said it with a sliver of fear and dejection. Her parents said it so very carefully, as if she was going to break any second. Camila, well, Camila was different. She had said her name in such way that it was almost reverent, as if the girl was desperately wanting to believe in something, wanting to believe in Lauren. But Lauren knew it would be for naught.

She didn't get to say anything before Mikaela tugged her forward by her arm, pulling her inside her room. Her sister quickly shut the door close, lingering by it for a few second. Lauren could easily see that Mikaela was trying to regulate her breathing, judging from her tense back. Lauren then realized that her own breathing was growing labored, her fists clenched tightly by her side. She was feeling something that she had never felt towards her sister before and it was overwhelming.

"How much did you hear?" Mikaela started, startling Lauren out of her reverie. She slowly turned her body around, leaning against the door. She eyed Lauren with such vigilance.

"Why does it matter?" Lauren hissed, clenching her jaw.

"Lauren, I-" Mikaela stammered, running her fingers through her hair. "It's not what you think."

"Really, Kae? That's what you're going with?" Lauren retorted, narrowing her eyes at Mikaela. "Already sounds like a bullshit thing anyone guilty would say."

"No, Laur. I mean-" Mikaela howled, growing defensive. "You just don't understand, okay?"

"Oh, really?" Lauren sneered. "Then please, enlighten me. Because I'm pretty sure there's only one definition of cheating."

Mikaela opened her mouth, eyes wide. Her breath growing strenuous, evident from the prominent rise and fall of her chest. She flailed her hand up, looking for the right words to say but came up with nothing.