Black, White and Red

It was black and white.

But then again it was only black and white. Except back in 1940. Even with her failing health, she strived to make him a better man. Even when she bore a frail and asthmatic boy, she made it clear that he was very strong.

Sarah Rogers, his beloved mother, decided that Steven Grant Rogers was worth it.

He saw hue.

His mother's eyes, blue. Like a blue that he will only ever know.

Yet Steve never saw that color again when she died. The world around him turned into a bitter, grainy gray.

================================

"You just don't give up, don't ya?" The man said.

A bully.

Bigger than him. And with an obvious chance of winning and pounding him to the ground.

He stood back up. His mother after all raised a stubborn son. A reckless, steadfast, stubborn son.

"I could do this all day." The bully punched him to the ground.

Amidst the ringing of his ears and the throb of his head. He heard a voice.

"Hey! Pick on someone your own size." The man said chasing away the bully. He turned to him and said:

"Sometimes, I think you like getting punched."

Then Steve saw it again. A soft contrast.
A subtle vibrant blue.

Bleeding and bruised, a man saved him. A man named James Buchanan Barnes.

His best friend.

============================

Then everything around him turned back. Back to the same old dreaded hue.

Black and white.

He hated this color. It shows him of what he lost. Of what he will only have for the rest of his life.

Bucky was gone and he failed to save him. He failed to save his best friend. Steve tried to wallow in his grief. To drink until he was numb. But even the serum won't allow it. Won't allow him to grieve for his friend.

"It wasn't your fault. You did everything you could. Allow Barnes the dignity of his choice."

"I'm going after Schmidt. I'm not gonna stop until all of Hydra is dead or captured." His ultimatum. A tribute to his dead friend.

"You won't be alone." Peggy said as she sat across from him.

Peggy Carter.

A girl who helped him make whatever he is now. He was infatuated with her, but every time he looked at her. All he ever saw was a slight sepia.

=====================

Here is where everything ends. Everything that he ever knew and will ever acknowledge. Yet his sense of honor allows no room for casualties. That's who Steve always was.

"There's not enough time. I gotta put her in the water." He said as the plane went down faster and faster.

"Please don't do this. We have time. We can work it out." Peggy said desperately.

"If I wait any longer, a lot of people are gonna die."

"Peggy, this is my choice." He said, a farewell as he thrust downward into a never ending cold.

Then all he saw was deep black.

==================

He was sweating and gritting his teeth. Memories came to him as he vent all of his frustrations. He punched the bag. Each fist harder than the last. He pounded harder and harder until the bag went flying. Torn and sand spilling all over the gym floor. He panted.

Well, there goes another one.

He hooked up a new bag and began pounding again.

"Trouble sleeping?" Steve turned to the direction of the voice.

Nick Fury.

The man who found him on the Atlantic.

"Slept for 70 years, sir. Think I've had my fill."

70 years.

He had been sleeping for 70 years. His constant companion, the cold.

"Then you should be out, seeing the world." Steve looked at him speculatively.
"When I went under the world was at war. I wake up they say we won. They didn't say what we lost." The world around him drastically ascended. It was too much to see. Too much to bear. But some things never change. Even though awoke everything around him was still the same. The same hue that mocks his despair and loss.

Part of him wished that they never found him.

==================

Steve was down and on his knees. When he saw a light. A light heading towards them. He was thrown back as a metal armor stopped beside him, the impact cracking the concrete floor. Pointing his armor towards Loki. This must be who Fury was talking about in the files.

Iron Man his profile said.

"Iron Man." He called a greeting.

"Captain." Iron Man remarked back.

And for a second he saw a slight hue. Too quick to notice.

°°°°

They were in the helicarrier. Loki has been detained and Iron Man, still in his armor, was talking to Dr. Banner, who will become a big problem if he won't cease his poking.

He was unlike everyone he ever met. He was always sly and making wisecrack jokes that pissed him off. In one instance he had had enough of his constant crap and his lack of respect.

"Big man and a suit of armor. Take that off and what are you?" He challenged him.

"Genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist." He said as if it was the most natural answer.

"I know guys with none of that worth ten of you. You know, you might not be a threat but you better stop pretending to be a hero." He retorted. His vision becoming more grainy, more black.

"A hero like you? You're a lab rat, Rogers. Everything special about you came out of a bottle." Iron Man snarled.

"Says the guy who hides behind the armor. Just what are you hiding, huh? Your cowardice perhaps? I dare you to show your real self or better yet leave it on. Let's go a few rounds." He said, riling him up.

He was ready for a fight. Adrenaline pumping in his blood. Iron Man put his armored has in his head and took the helmet off.

Everything around him suddenly burst. Colors invading his visions. One by one. All at the same time. He thought he was going to be blind from it.

From a red and gold metal tint to full chocolate brown eyes. Steve breathed deeply. All he saw was him. Taking him all in. It was beautiful.

He was beautiful.

Steve felt his eyes swelling up. This is what his mother was telling him. What he wanted all along.

"Cap?" Iron Man asked breathlessly. He gazed at him, unsure and wonder - filled. Steve was unable to stop his smile.

And it was because of him that he finally saw it.

Steve took his armored hand and placed it over his heart.

"I thought the world around me will be forever gray. An unending sea of bitterness and disappointment. I longed for light. For brightness. I longed for you. Finally, I found you. I have found the one whom my soul loves." He said looking in his deep brown eyes.

Brown, like sun kissed soil after a never faltering rain.

Steve knew that this color will be imprinted on his mind forever. He pulled him closer and took his mouth.
But this will be in his soul forever.

End.
_____________________
Author's note:

"I have found the one who my soul loves." Song of Solomon 3:4