Obsession

Prologue: 

She rushed into her room and slammed the door shut, locking it. Next was the window. Who knew how he had gotten in the first time. It was best to be paranoid and safe than calm and dead. Dead. Was that an overreaction? After what he had done to her boyfriend, no way. Panting, she turned to face her room. The cabinet door was swinging back and forth. A figure stepped out from them.  

"Hello, Elina."

Present Day: 

She brought her lunch today. Turkey and cheese with mustard, no mayo. No, Elina hated mayonnaise. It was one of the things that I loved about her. She was so unique, so flawless; perfect in every way. Her shining watery blue eyes, the dimple in her smile, even the way the light shone on her chestnut brown hair, creating a halo around her. I loved Elina, and she loved me. She was just playing hard to get.  

I always used to sit next to Elina, in middle school. But when Nick Harmon completely humiliated me in seventh grade, the seat right next to Elina was suddenly filled. It wasn't Elina's fault. Nick pushed his way into Elina's life, she didn't let him. Okay, I'm going to do it. I'm going to sit next to her today. Screw what Nick says. He can bully me all he wants, but he can't deny what Elina and I have. 

As if he heard my thoughts, Nick swept in and sat next to Elina while I was still three yards away. Fury enveloped me, and I pictured smashing his head into the table. He looked back and saw me.  

"What are you standing there for, loser? Get a seat," the table laughed like he had actually said something funny. I knew he didn't mean for me to get a seat at that table, but there was one open directly across from Elina. I couldn't resist.  

"Thanks, man. That's real nice of you," I smiled, and the two people sitting next to me scooted away loudly.  

Nick leaned forward. "I meant somewhere else, ass-face. So why don't you get up and walk away in those five dollar Goodwill shoes." 

Some of the kids snickered, but most were just watching me. Wondering what I would do. I turned to Elina. "Hey, Elina. How've you been?" 

She smiled. "Pretty good, thanks. You?" 

I shrugged. "Can't complain." A breeze pushed her hair in my direction, and I smelled the amazing perfume she was wearing. Chanel Chance, always worn on Thursdays. 

Nick leaned back, staring at Elina curiously. Now she leaned forward. "I think you should probably go to a different table. Nick was saving that spot for my friend Marissa." 

"Oh, Marissa? You guys still hang out?" I took a quiet, deep breath, savoring her scent.

She nodded. "Yeah, we're still friends. So could you-?" she gestured towards an empty table farther away.  

"Sure, I guess. It was fun talking to you. We should hang out sometime," I got up, smiling.  

Nick stood up with me. "Hey, you need to back off, dirt bag. Elina is my girl, not yours. You don't get to 'hang out' with her, got it?" 

I shrugged. "That's her choice, not yours." I walked off before he could say anything else.