7: Last Time

"Kaori!" Tsubaki opened the door. Kaori's bed was placed next to the windows where bright sunlight came in.

"Hi!" Kaori smiled and waved at all of them. Watari and Tsubaki went in first and Kousei followed behind them. Kousei was the only one who came empty-handed.

"How's hospital life?" Watari asked as he put a cake on Kaori's lap.

"Oh, it's okay... The nurses and doctors are nice and the food is really good." Kaori squealed as she opened the cake box. "But I can't play my violin." She said, and looked at her pink violin case with random stickers on, sitting in a corner of the room without being touched. The stickers seemed to represent her, with cat stickers, stickers of her favourite band, stickers from various countries, and more. It seemed like it was a part of her.

"Hope you get better soon." Tsubaki said and placed the flowers on the side table.

"Thanks!" Kaori said and started to eat the cake.

"And you?" Kaori looked towards Kousei who just stood behind everyone awkwardly without doing anything. Kousei didn't hear what she was saying. He couldn't hear anything. The memory of hospital, death and emptiness hit him and he was trying to get out of that bubble that was covering him, almost feeling like he was being choked by someone. He stared at his hands and looked down at his feet.

"Hello?" Someone said really loudly, almost a shout.

"What?" Kousei said and looked at everyone who was staring at him. "Oh, sorry I..."

"Are you OK?" Watari asked.

"Yeah I'm fine... What were we talking about?" Kousei said.

"Well, thanks for bringing me nothing." Kaori replied, still digging into the cake. "Oh by the way, this cake is really good." She continued eating. Time was flying fast and after 3 hours of staying in the hospital, Watari and Tsubaki decided to leave.

"We'll come back in another week!" Watari waved and as Tsubaki pushed him, they left the room. Kousei followed them slowly, still feeling uncomfortable until he reached the door. He tried to open it but a hand caught his arm from behind.

"Can't you please try?" Kaori asked. "Why do I always have to force you to play?"

"But I told you a hundred times that I can't hear the piano sound." Kousei said. Kaori held up a music piece: Chopin's Etude Op. 25.

"It'll be my last request." Kousei looked into Kaori's starry eyes. Full of hope and sparkles that lightened up her life, Kousei wondered what his eyes looked like to others. Outside the window, there was a tree full of sakura flowers. One by one, the flower petals fell to the ground, blown by the wind.

"Fine, last time." Kousei said and grabbed the music sheet and left the room.

***

Usually, the music department would play different songs each day at lunch time around the whole school. Now, everyone groaned and murmured and talked about how the music department was playing the same song for a month: Chopin's Etude Op. 25. But Kousei didn't care. That was the only way he could learn the music. The only way he could hear the piano sound. Everyday after school he would go to the music room and start the CD player over and over again. He fingered the notes and he listened to the recording. Often Watari or Tsubaki came in and tried to encourage him and every time Kousei wanted to stop, without knowing how, Kaori sent him a message telling him to keep going. One by one, days passed but Kousei's ears were still the same.

***

"The competition is about to begin in 10 minutes. Please be seated in the assigned seats. Thank you for your attention." The announcement ended and Kousei was on the floor of a corridor in the waiting room behind the stage. He was fingering the notes over and over again even though it was already in his mind. It was so clear yet the sound was still blurred. He wondered if the competition was ever going to end. He wondered if this would be the last time he would play on stage. Kousei wondered if he would be able to hear the piano sound again. It seemed like a few minutes after the competition started but now it was Kousei's turn after 236 players who went before him. Kousei stood behind the door that connected the waiting room and the stage. Through the tiny window that was located on the door, Kousei could see the grand piano that was waiting for him once again. With a deep breath, he entered the deep, dark ocean under the bright star-lit sky.