Chapter Two

Emrys sat by the lake, across from him sat Salazar who glanced between reading his book and notes. In between the two of them lay Ophidia. The days had been growing shorter and the nightly chill settled into the land much earlier than before, cutting their lessons short.

Emrys was planning to move their lessons inside but wished to spend as much time as possible with Ophidia before she brumated*. The two-foot-long basilisk was one of the constants in Salazar's life, having been with him since his early teenage years. At the time her scales were black but were now gaining a greener tinge, indicating that she was reaching the beginning of maturity.

Once that happened she would begin to petrify those she held eye contact with and so Emrys had helped Salazar to build a large chamber design to keep her entertained, though that did not mean that the other founders knew.

"Emrys, I believe that it is time that we—indicating Ophidia and I—should withdraw to the castle. I shall hope to see you at dinner," Salazar commented, picking up his notes. Ophidia slithered up his outstretched arm and curled around his midsection, the chill of the afternoon was no place for a serpent.

Emrys watched as the bottom of the sun dipped beneath the skyline and agreed. Gathering his notes, he placed them in his bag and watched an impatient Salazar tap his foot against the grass.

Emrys aimed a verbal jab at his friend as he stood, "You only want to visit Godric,"

A blush formed on Salazar's cheeks as he hissed, "I don't know what you are talking about," with his arms crossed protectively across his chest.

Chuckling, Emrys stepped in line next to him and bumped his shoulder, "Whatever you say,"

Huffing, he bumped his mentor and strode up to the entrance muttering obscenities. Easily keeping pace, the warlock parted with Salazar when they reached the staircase. He walked up the left staircase, Salazar stepped onto the declining right.

The boy—for he was hardly a man—waited until he could no longer see Emrys before turning around and walking up to Godric's chambers.

The closer Salazar got to his destination the more he felt as if his heart would escape his chest. He knocked on the door and waited for an answer. It did not come, so he rapped a little louder this time.

From through the door, Salazar heard Godric ask who came. He answered with his name. The silence between his answer and Godric's grew. Was he no loud enough? His fear, however, was put to rest when he was told to enter.

Taking a deep breath, Salazar entered the room and upon seeing that no one was there to greet him, called out. A reply came from behind a door located in the nook of the parlour.

True to his nature, Salazar took some time and observed it. The door was small and made of wooden planks, a section towards the middle was burned. Startled, Salazar realised that it was a word yet he could only make out the first two letters—bæ.

Convincing himself that the word was of no importance, he opened the door and once he processed the sight instantly brought his hand to his eyes. The sight of Godric in a hip bæþ**—how had he not thought of that—, as he tried to wet his hair was not one he was meant to see.

Lowering his hand from his eyes, Salazar walked behind Godric. Picking up a cup on his way, he kneeled behind the man and dipped it into the bath. Informing Godric to close his eyes, Salazar poured the water over his head and began to brush his hair.

Once he had finished, he turned around and allowed Godric to step out from the bath. Having wrapped a towel around his waist, Godric pulled Salazar into his bedchamber. He took a pair of breachers and a tunic out from his cupboard and went behind the changing screen.