Five

Both ships accelerated hard. As soon as they passed the start line they dived low to skim the Juggernaut's surface as close as they dared.

The winner of this race would be the first one to complete a loop under the city. Speed and nerves were needed to win. The closer they flew to the surface the shorter their route would be, but the risk was greater. It was a dangerous combination. A perfect test of speed and skill.

At least it's not a core run, Malachi thought. That takes a special kind of crazy.

Core runs were theoretical races that took ships through the heart of the city, from one end to the other. They were rumoured to be possible but no one Malachi knew had ever even attempted one, let alone completed one. The Juggernaut was a haphazard construction of a thousand different ships, so it made sense there would be voids and openings all over the surface. Maybe somewhere there was a hidden entrance to the maze of tunnels within, but as far as Malachi could tell they were just convenient holes in which to plug the next derelict hulk.

Many would-be adventurers had explored as far as they dared but their stories all ended the same way. Sooner or later – usually sooner – they found a wall of metal barring their way, or the openings were just too small to allow their ships to pass.

Some obstacles were far more deadly. Venting gas, radiation leaks and the risk of structural collapse were just some of the dangers waiting in the dark.

Malachi had also noticed how the stories he heard always became more exciting with each retelling.

If a route through the city was found it would be an incredible race – perfect for a thrill-seeker like Ellie Young, but far too risky for Malachi Chambers.

You lose one hundred per cent of the races you don't survive, he told her. Of all the advice she ignored, at least she listened to that. Ellie might be dangerous when she was in her little ship, he thought, but she wasn't stupid.

The ships were quickly out of sight of the Mandalay's bridge so the spectators switched their attention to the video feeds on screens and personal data pads.

Ellie was already in the lead, although nudging ahead of her opponent by only a half-length.

Both ships were already dangerously close to the surface. They crept lower still. With only two metres to spare they skimmed the top of one of the communications hubs which littered the surface of the city. More radio towers, satellite dishes and countless other protrusions threatened to reach up and snatch the ships from their course as they streaked overhead.

They reached the first edge of the city and dived over. Santini turned faster and made up the ground he had lost on the straight. Ellie growled her annoyance into Malachi's ear as he looked on, helpless.

The crowd cheered again, lapping up the drama. It seemed to Malachi that the crowd had split their affection right down the middle.

Wagers were placed, deals were struck, and Malachi dug the fingernails of his right hand into his palm while the other hand gripped the data pad even more tightly.

Ellie zipped around the lower edge of the city and she and Santini twisted a half-turn to reorient themselves as she swooped around the city rim.

Now the city was above them, and the emptiness of space below.

Santini pulled further ahead. Although she had the greater acceleration his tighter, smaller turn had given him the edge he needed. And he had the greater top speed so the straight run to the far edge of the under-city meant Ellie's chances of catching him were small.