Chapter 11

You know that feeling that you get when you feel like you’re being watched? Your body goes stiff, and your adrenaline starts pumping to get you prepared for what’s to come. All of your senses are turned on, and you can detect the smallest of noises. Your heart beats so quickly that you can hear it pounding in your chest, and feel the vibrations throughout your entire body.

Yeah, well, if you’re familiar with that feeling, then you know how I feel right now.

Running a hand through my slightly disheveled hair, I stepped out of the bathroom at around one o’clock in the morning in my cotton pajama shorts with sleeping monkeys on them and my white off-the-shoulder t-shirt. As soon as the door to the bathroom was opened, my adrenaline started pumping, and I knew I wasn’t alone.

I couldn’t see them, because the hallway was dark, not a single light shining through even the smallest of cracks. The moonlight shining through a window gave the hallway an eerie, blue glow. I scanned my surroundings, searching for a silhouette. With the lack of light, and my half asleep state, I couldn’t see a thing, or make sense of what was going on. And that part scared me the most.

Deciding that the only way to get out of this alive was to run, I took my chances and ran up the hallway, but I only made it to my parents’ room before a pair of strong arms wrapped around my waist, and a hand clamped around my mouth.

I tried screaming through the hand, but that only awarded me with a husky, “Shh,” in my ear. If the hand wasn’t pressed so tightly over my mouth, I would’ve been able to bite this evil and murderous man.

I squirmed, trying to break free, but failed. Whoever this guy is, I hope he knows that Andrew is going to come save me from whatever plans he has of raping me, murdering me, seducing me—

“Hailey,” the voice whispered again. Okay, so the creep knows my name. Lord, please just kill me now. “Hailey, calm down. It’s me.”

Who’s me? That’s not very specific you idiot.

The man released me, grabbing my shoulders to turn me around, forcing me to stare into his wonderful, entrancing blue eyes. Wait, those eyes look awfully familiar…

“Andrew!” I whispered in a furious tone. “Are you trying to scare me to death?”

A low chuckle came from the darkness. “Sorry, I thought you saw me.”

“No, apparently I don’t have night supervision goggles built into my head. Sorry to disappoint.” My voice was thick with sarcasm, but that’s what he gets for scaring the shit out of me.

Even in the dark, I could see him rolling his eyes. “What are you doing up?”

I raised an eyebrow at him. “I think the real question is, what are you doing up?”

He crossed his arms. “I asked you first.”

“Oh, how mature. Come on, spit it out.”

He let out a long sigh, mumbling a few curse words under his breath. “I’m just… going down for a midnight snack.”

“Really?” I took an intimidating step closer to him. “So why are you fully dressed?”

“Because…” he glanced down at his fitted t-shirt and jeans, in his signature colors: gray and black.

I rolled my eyes, nudging his arm a little. “Andrew, stop lying to me and tell me what you’re up to.”

Once again, a long sigh escaped his lips, and he took a moment to continue. “I’m going out tonight, okay? But you can’t tell anybody.”