-One-

Post- Age of Ultron

Steve sat quietly at a small table at the Avengers facility, hands wrapped around a steaming cup of coffee

Steve sat quietly at a small table at the Avengers facility, hands wrapped around a steaming cup of coffee. After everything that had happened with Ultron, it was nice to have a moment of quiet. A moment to think, to digest the thoughts and voices in his head.

Captain America... Pretending you could live without a war.

The war's over, Steve. We can go home.

There's worse ways to go.

After every battle he seemed to need this. Even though the so-called Age of Ultron had happened a week ago, even a few days of quiet helped ease his mind. Steve still sometimes couldn't wrap his mind around the fact that he, the former punching bag from Brooklyn, was here, now. He never wanted to be the super soldier. He wanted to be a regular soldier. Defend his country. Die for it, if he had to. He never expected to save the world.

Three times.

Sighing, Steve sips his coffee, looking outside at the bright blue sky. "Steve?" a voice asks, hesitant.

He turns, and is surprised to see one of their newest recruits- Wanda Maximoff. "Hey," he says, surprised. "What's up? How... how are you doing?"

The young woman's brows furrow. Pietro Maximoff's death still had her shaken, understandably, but Steve was impressed at how well she was holding up, although he admittedly was a bit distracted.

She had made him see something. A vision, of sorts. In it, he and Peggy Carter finally had their dance (among other things- he had been afraid, at the time, but now that isn't what is on his mind). Finally, Steve had gotten to hold her close and she was his, for the briefest of moments. And he was reminded of a truth that hurt him like crazy.

A part of him was still very much in love with her.

But she was dead. A group of Hydra agents had raided a SHIELD facility where she was working, and her body was never found.

"I'm okay," Wanda was saying, breaking him out of his thoughts. "I just came to apologize-"

"Wanda, there's nothing you have to apologize for," Steve interrupts quickly, gesturing for her to sit down. This is the first time they've really talked since Ultron- Wanda had kept to herself, not talking to many, except for Vision, the Avenger's other newest member. "You were doing what you thought was right, for the people you love. We all have done things we regret."

Wanda nods, looking slightly less guilty and more thoughtful as she takes the offered seat. "I still feel bad. I can see into everyone's mind, and sometimes I see things people don't even know about themselves. I'm not really sure I know how to handle it."

"You'll figure it out. Basically the instant I became the super-soldier, I had to chase after a Hydra agent and I crashed
into a bridal shop. Ruined the display out front. I couldn't control my body and I probably looked ridiculous. It's the same thing with your powers. The more you use them, the more you'll know and the easier it'll be. And believe me, you looked much more graceful than I did out there."

A genuine smile flits across Wanda's face at his words. "Thank you," she says, Sokovian accent thick. After a pause, she continues, "How long did it take for you to get used to... all of this?" She gestures around to the Avengers facility.

"A while, especially since I woke up thinking it was the 1940s," Steve replies, glad he is finally at a point in his life where he can joke about it. "But soon it'll start to feel... well, like home, I guess. It finally does for me."

"I suppose. But without-" Wanda chokes up for a moment, looking away. "Without Pietro, I-"

"I understand." Steve puts a hand on Wanda's shoulder and thinks of his family. His friends. "Home is the people around you, too. It's your family. Without Buck, without Peggy... it's hard. But I have a new family now." And I'm going to get Bucky back.

"Peggy," Wanda says, eyes flashing red for a moment. "That was the woman that you saw. That I... made you see. Wasn't she?"

Steve nods. "Yeah, she was." He meets Wanda's eyes, showing her that he really holds no hard feelings against her. "We were going to go dancing," he tells her softly.

A/N:
I hope you guys liked the first official chapter! I don't know about you, but whenever I see the gif at the top I always get super emotional when I see how in love with Peggy Steve still looks.

Also, this is a fairly short chapter- the rest will probably be longer than this. But I hope you enjoyed! Please tell me what you think! 💕