Chapter 7

This chapter has been dedicated to Michaela. Thank you for everything that you do <3

~~~

I sigh softly and rub my hands over my face. You know what? Fuck you cones, with your parabolas and ellipses. Ugh. These packets are gonna take forever.

A slight ping can be heard from the corner of the room. I glance at Eloise and her sleeping form before standing from my chair and walking over to my own bed. I sit on the cover and open my phone, smiling lightly at the text.

rOSE: Hey city girl! How are you holding up?

Rose and I were really close in my past school. I texted her the other day, but she's in field hockey season right now. I wouldn't be surprised if she was busy.

Hey you! I'm doing pretty good. How's school down there?

rOSE: Sucks lol

I giggle softly and shake my head. Rose isn't one to enjoy school.

rOSE: Any updates on the soulmate?

My cheeks flare up in temperature at that word. You don't even have to say his name and I get all flustered.

His name is Peter, 17, really digs physics. An absolute cutie. I'm pretty sure he has abs, and just...damn

rOSE: Aww that's so cute!! I'm gonna need pics of this kid, gotta know who my bestie is marrying!

Oh shut up lol

I smile lightly as I imagine her sitting on her bed as well, her dirty blonde in her high ponytail. She has her fuzzy socks on and her favorite rapper in the background.

Alright, enough about me. How's Tanner?

rOSE: Tanner has yet to be found, ugh

Just like me, Rose is a late bloomer and hasn't met her soulmate just yet. I guess that's one of the reasons why we became friends. My first day, I got made fun of for not meeting my soulmate yet, but she stood up for me. The rest goes down in history.

You'll find him soon, I promise

rOSE: Yeah you're right...

rOSE: Maybe I should move like you?

I giggle softly and shake my head. I've missed this chick's weirdness, let me tell you. I've missed her more than anyone and anything.

If you do, come to NYC. I miss my best friend

rOSE: AWW

rOSE: YOU FRICKEN DORK I MISS YOU TOO!

rOSE: LOVE YOU PRETZEL! <3 <3 <3

Love you too brick :') <3

~~~

I take out my notebook and start taking down notes from the board. I don't notice Mr. K until he's right in front of me. "Good morning Willow," he says, with a smile.

"Good morning Mr. K," I reply back.

He leans his hands on my desk to get a bit closer. "So...how are you? After yesterday?"

It takes me a couple seconds to realize he's talking about the incident between Peter and I. I remember that the first time we made eye contact was in this very room, and I was sitting where I am right now. Was it really just yesterday?

I nod slightly. "I-I'm okay. We both are. It was just...overwhelming, I guess."

Mr. K nods knowingly before holding up his left hand and chuckling. A ring sits snugly on his finger. "I know the feeling. One moment, in one day, turns your whole world around. For better or for worse. I wasn't ready either, but now look at me. Married for almost ten years now."

My heart melts at his story. His wife is very lucky to have someone like Mr. K. An extremely good person. The bell rings in that moment, declaring class to start.

Mr. K pats my desk with the palm of his hand. "We'll chat later." He retreats back to his desk. I go to smile at Peter, but realize he isn't here. I'm not very observant this morning, huh?

I guess last night's events muddled me up.

My smile turns into a slight frown. Where could he be? Is he alright? I mean, he's probably just sick or late or something.

Before Mr. K can begin his lesson, the TV in the corner of the room sparks to life. The school's horrible news anchors, Betty and Jason, begin their own thing (whatever it is that they do). Oh my goodness they are so awkward, it pains me. Like secondhand embarrassment, which might be worse than firsthand. I basically tune them out the whole news report.

That is, until a flash of red in the corner of my eye makes me tune back in.

"More and more sights and reports of Spider-Man seem to keep swinging in our office," the guy says, a smile on his face that declared hidden pain from the pun. Who wrote their script? "In a recent poll, 99% of the school's population find this web-slinging hero 'cool.'"

"If you have any pictures of our Neighborhood Spider, send them in. We will gladly take them." She says, her fingers clasped on the desk. The camera zooms in on the two before they are cut off by a video clip of this "Spider Man."

In the video, he webs up some masked guy then helps a little old lady cross the street, then swings off on his webs. I can't help but smile lightly. If I were to guess, that Spider guy has to be a teenager. Either a teenager, or a very small adult. Slightly muscular, very athletic, very fast.

Nice kid. I mean, he doesn't have to do this kind of stuff, ya know? He must have a really good heart.

And how can I tell it's a guy?

Well. I'm sure you can guess.

I wonder how old he is? Maybe my age? Maybe younger?

The clip ends, and the feed cuts back to Betty and Jason in front of a green screen. The green screen flashes back to it's original background.

What in the heck is happening down in that newsroom?

The newscast ends awkwardly and abruptly after that. Mr. K turns to us and smiles, taking attendance.

"Peter?" He asks, looking up. He glances at the space next to me, then me. I shrug in response.

A couple minutes go by and I hear the door open. I don't look up, and continue taking notes.

"You're late, Mr. Parker." I look up at the name and smile lightly. My stomach churns when we make eye contact. Today, Peter is wearing a dark green sweater with a white dress shirt underneath. He is also wearing dark blue jeans, and his hair is slightly curly and gelled back.

"S-Sorry," he stumbles over his words as he briskly walks over to our desk. When he sits, Mr. K continues on with the lesson. Is he used to this? How often is Peter late? In the corner of my eye, I watch him take some things out of his backpack, before throwing it down on the ground beside his feet.

"Hey," he whispers.

I smile lightly and bite my lip. "Why are you late?" I whisper back.

My body freezes up when he leans in close. His nose brushes my temple, and his breath fans across my cheek. "I bought you breakfast," he whispers.

Peter places a muffin on top of my closed binder, kisses my cheek, then takes out his notebook with a dashing smirk on his lips.