Chapter One: Justin

BANG. BANG. BANG. It was coming from the front door. It wasn't regular knocking. No, it was worse. Much worse. As if the person at the front step had tried to knock the door down with just their fists. But I knew who that person was. And after their history, I'd be a fool if I let him in.

A fool, that's what he called me. When I came home with bad grades. When I made such a bad decision that I got a beating. But I would never tell the cops. Who would believe a fourteen-year-old boy over a full grown man? No one. No one in the right mind. They would be the fools.

"OPEN UP!" 

Then the door came down. I heard the slam of the wood colliding with wood. Door colliding with the floor. Fear collided with anger. I worked so hard on polishing that door, just to please him. He told me that the neighbors would call us uncivilized swine if we just had a wooden block as a point of entry. So I made it look magnificent. I worked for two hours each day, polishing every corner, every ounce of strength is wasted. How could I think to please him? 

Step. They were coming. Step. straight towards me. Step.and out of fear, I couldn't head the opposite direction. Step. I saw the nasty grin on his face as he bent down towards me, blocking the sunlight coming in through the one window in my bedroom. Just as he had blocked the light, he had blocked the happiness. I saw the stubble on his chin, covered in dust and such, probably from breaking in. His dark brown eyes peered deep into my soul, and he slapped me as hard as he could, straight in the cheek. The pain had entered my veins and turned anger to energy. The energy turned to action, and all actions have consequences.

From my bent over position on the floor, I did an upper hook and hit him square in the chin. I had a surprising amount of strength. I used my allowance to go to the gym every day after school. I guess he forgot my membership to Planet Fitness. Out of shock, he fell over, giving me just enough time to run out of the door. But he was fast. He was just as fit as me. He chased me out of the front door and into the street. I veered past parked cars, adrenaline racing through me, and him heading towards me. I turned back and saw him a few feet away, and studied his expression when I should've been studying my surroundings. 

I collided and whomever I hit fell from my force. We landed on the street, his head banging on the pavement and mine onto his chest. He immediately groaned, which was his subconscious action. He had me pinned in seconds. I tried squirming, but instead of having the feeling of victory and retreating, I felt cold metal surrounding my wrists. 

"Justin Baldoni you are under arrest,"